Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 138 years

 


MHS
Events


Spring
Field Trip:
Military
History


Fall
Field Trip:
Ukrainian
Settlement


Manitoba
History

No. 83


This Old
Grain
Elevator


Abandoned
Manitoba


War
Memorials
in Manitoba


Digitized
Local History
Books


Memorable
Manitobans


Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Manitoba School for the Deaf / Wireless School No. 3 / Manitoba Teachers’ College / Tuxedo Model School / Canadian Mennonite University (500 Shaftesbury Boulevard, Winnipeg)

Link to:
Military Commanding Officers | Normal School Principals | Photos & Maps | Sources

Founded in 1888, the Manitoba School for the Deaf occupied various locations, including the former Manitoba Agricultural College site on Tuxedo Avenue, before transferring to this facility in 1922. Originally built in 1921 and designed by John D. Atchison and Company, these buildings served as a residential school for deaf students from the prairie provinces until the Second World War when it was used as part of the Commonwealth Air Training Plan.

Wireless School No. 3 opened on 17 February 1941, training Wireless Air Gunners as well as Ground Signal Officers. It closed on 31 December 1944 when operations were transferred to the No. 2 Wireless School at Calgary, Alberta. The Royal Canadian Air Force continued used the site for other purposes until 6 March 1945.

From 1946 to 1965, the building housed the Manitoba Normal School, a teacher training facility. During that period, five H-huts and a two-storey building on the grounds of the Wireless School were given for a two-year period to the City of Winnipeg for use as emergency housing for around 100 families. School facilities were made available for 45 children in grades 1-6, with those of higher age attending facilities elsewhere in the Winnipeg School Division. The school, which went by several names including Normal School Annex, Tuxedo Normal School, and Tuxedo Model School, closed in the summer of 1953.

The facility returned to its original purpose, functioning as a residence and school for deaf students from 1965 to 1996. It was used briefly during the 1999 Pan American Games before becoming part of Canadian Mennonite University. A plaque, dedicated in June 1996, is mounted near the east entrance of the school building at 500 Shaftsbury Boulevard.

Military Commanding Officers

Period

Commanding Officer

1941

Squadron Leader M. M. Hendrick (Acting)

1941-1942

Group Captain H. B. Godwin

1942

Wing Commander B. N. Harrop

1942-1943

Wing Commander T. R. Michelson

1943-1944

Group Captain Alan Walmsley

1944

Group Captain R. M. Smith

Normal School - Principals

Period

Principal

1946-1951

Duncan Bruce Moorhead (1889-1951)

1951-1957

Robert William Lightly (1909-1985)

1957-1965

George Walton F. Brisbin (1906-1990)

Normal School - Teachers

Period

Teachers

1949-1950

Miss D. Baker, George W. Chidley (math II), Mr. J. Clarke (class management), Miss B. Douglas (music), Miss M. Fraser (librarian), Albert L. Herron (science), Jon K. Laxdal (math), Robert W. Lightly, Miss S. Nalevykin (physical education), Miss M. Norton (English I), Miss B. Pilling (art), Miss M. Ring (health), Miss W. Smith (English III), Mr. H. Turner

Tuxedo Model School - Teachers

Period

Teachers

1946-1947

A. Mellor, C. Ormond

1947-1948

K. Corrigan, R. Matheson, Jessie Rae George Tooke (Principal)

1948-1949

Miss Frances Grace Lowe (grades 3-4), Miss Reta Ella Matheson (grades 4-5), Jessie Rae George Tooke (Principal, grades 1-2)

1949-1950

Miss Frances Grace Lowe, Miss Reta Ella Matheson, Miss L. McKee, Jessie Rae George Tooke (Principal)

1950-1951

Miss Frances Grace Lowe, Miss Reta Ella Matheson, Mrs. Anne Grant, Jessie Rae George Tooke (Principal)

1951-1952

Miss Frances Grace Lowe, Miss Reta Ella Matheson, Mrs. Anne Grant, Jessie Rae George Tooke (Principal)

1952-1953

Miss Frances Grace Lowe, Mrs. Anne Grant, Jessie Rae George Tooke (Principal)

Photos & Maps

Manitoba School for the Deaf

Manitoba School for the Deaf (1922)
Source: Archives of Manitoba, Winnipeg - Schools - Manitoba School for the Deaf #1

Manitoba School for the Deaf

Manitoba School for the Deaf (1922)
Source: Archives of Manitoba, Winnipeg - Schools - Manitoba School for the Deaf #2

Manitoba School for the Deaf

Manitoba School for the Deaf (July 1933)
Source: Archives of Manitoba, George Harris Fonds, Acc. 1979-141, P7447, Album 4, Page 8.

Wireless School No. 3

Aerial view of the Wireless School No. 3 during the Second World War (no date)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough, 2015-0078

Manitoba School for the Deaf

The former Manitoba School for the Deaf, now the Canadian Mennonite University (2010)
Plaque Location (lat/long): 49.87002, W97.26197
Source: City of Winnipeg

Site Location (lat/long): N49.85980, W97.23133
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Personal Memoirs: Memories of Winnipeg Schools in the 1930s and 1940s by Margaret Russell

Personal Memoirs: Memories of the Provincial Normal School (1950-1951) by Duane Duff

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Central Normal School (442 William Avenue, Winnipeg)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Winnipeg Evergreen Project / 1999 Pan American Games

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Manitoba Agricultural College (Tuxedo Avenue, Winnipeg)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Provincially Designated Historic Sites

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Deaf and Dumb Institute / Manitoba School for the Deaf (Portage Avenue, Winnipeg)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Manitoba School for the Deaf / Manitoba Vocational Centre / Prince Charles School / Prince Charles Education Resource Centre (1075 Wellington Avenue, Winnipeg)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Alexander Ross School / Manitoba School for the Deaf (242 Stradford Street, Winnipeg)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Air Navigation School No. 1 Monument (Municipality of Riverdale)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Air Observers School No. 5 (Winnipeg)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Bombing and Gunnery School No. 3 (Macdonald, RM of Portage la Prairie)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Bombing and Gunnery School No. 7 (Paulson, RM of Dauphin)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Central Navigation School (Wheatland, Municipality of Riverdale)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Elementary Flying Training School No. 14 / Air Observers School No. 7 (Southport, RM of Portage la Prairie)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Elementary Flying Training School No. 19 (RM of Wallace-Woodworth)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Elementary Flying Training School No. 26 (Municipality of North Cypress-Langford)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: EFTS No. 26 Relief Field (RM of Rosedale)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Service Flying Training School No. 10 (RM of Dauphin)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Service Flying Training School No. 12 / Commonwealth Air Training Plan Museum (Brandon)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: SFTS No. 12 Relief Field No. 1 / Chater Aerodrome (RM of Elton)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: SFTS No. 12 Relief Field No. 2 (Municipality of North Cypress-Langford)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Service Flying Training School No. 17 (Municipality of Souris-Glenwood)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: SFTS No. 17 Relief Field / Hartney Aerodrome (Municipality of Grassland)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Service Flying Training School No. 18 (Municipality of Gimli)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Service Flying Training School No. 18 Relief Landing Field / Netley Field (RM of St. Andrews)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Service Flying Training School No. 33 (RM of North Cypress-Langford)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: SFTS No. 33 Relief Field No. 1 / Petrel Aerodrome (RM of North Cypress-Langford)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: SFTS No. 33 Relief Field No. 2 / Oberon Aerodrome (RM of North Cypress-Langford)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Wireless School No. 3 (500 Shaftesbury Boulevard, Winnipeg)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Brandon Winter Fair Building / Brandon Arena / Manning Depot No. 2 (Eleventh Street, Brandon)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Release Centre No. 5 / Jameswood Place South (Winnipeg)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Repair Depot No. 8 / Jameswood Place (Winnipeg)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Tuxedo School No. 1709 (Linden Woods, Winnipeg)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Tuxedo Park School (2300 Corydon Avenue, Winnipeg)

Sources:

“Wing Commander H. B. Godwin takes over signals post here,” Winnipeg Free Press, 15 January 1941, page 8.

“Two big Air Schools to be opened Monday,” Winnipeg Tribune, 11 February 1941, page 11.

“Anzac Day parade set for Friday,” Winnipeg Free Press, 23 April 1941, page 16.

“Record class of Empire airmen graduate from Tuxedo School,” Winnipeg Free Press, 5 July 1941, page 8.

“Group Captain H. B. Godwin to take Ottawa position,” Winnipeg Free Press, 24 July 1942, page 4.

“Wing Commander rank is given Michelson,” Winnipeg Free Press, 30 October 1942, page 6.

“Change of command at Wireless School,” Winnipeg Free Press, 7 September 1943, page 4.

“Grievances aired at No. 3 Wireless,” Winnipeg Free Press, 9 February 1944, page 1.

“Air Force honors,” Winnipeg Free Press, 14 June 1945, page 2.

“No. 3 Wireless School to close at end of year,” Winnipeg Free Press, 7 December 1944, page 19.

“Notice to creditors [due to the disbandment of No. 3 Wireless School],” Winnipeg Free Press, 13 January 1945, page 16.

“Transcona asks reopening of School for Deaf,” Winnipeg Tribune, 11 September 1945, page 9.

“Next Normal School classes to start at Tuxedo Sept. 9,” Winnipeg Tribune, 4 April 1946, page 21.

“City grants use of Tuxedo School,” Winnipeg Tribune, 8 August 1946, page 2.

“More teachers training now,” Winnipeg Tribune, 11 September 1946, page 13.

“To join or not to join talks,” Winnipeg Free Press, 17 August 1949, page 7.

“Model School mothers hold graduation party for students,” Winnipeg Free Press, 13 June 1950, page 13.

Normal Lights - 1950 Manitoba Normal School.

“Model School shows work to parents,” Winnipeg Free Press, 3 May 1951, page 3.

“Model Principal honored by staff,” Winnipeg Free Press, 1 May 1953, page 11.

Manitoba School for the Deaf, Manitoba Historic Resources Branch.

School division half-yearly attendance reports, Schedule: E 0757, Archives of Manitoba.

Information for this page was provided by The City of Winnipeg’s Planning, Property and Development Department, which acknowledges the contribution of the Government of Manitoba through its Heritage Grants Program.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough and Nathan Kramer.

Page revised: 12 January 2017

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2017 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.