Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 143 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: No. 3 Bombing and Gunnery School (Macdonald, RM of Portage la Prairie)

Link to:
Commanding Officers | Photos & Maps | Sources

This site northeast of Macdonald, in the Rural Municipality of Portage la Prairie, was used for training of pilots during the Commonwealth Air Training Plan of the Second World War.

Commanding Officers

Period

Principal

1941-1943

Group Captain G. A. Mercer

1943-1944

Wing Commander R. F. Gibb

1944

Wing Commander R. F. Gross

1944

Group Captain William F. C. Hobson

1945

Group Captain E. C. Tennant

Photos & Coordinates

Aerial view of the No. 3 Bombing and Gunnery School

Aerial view of the No. 3 Bombing and Gunnery School (May 1944)
Source: Archives of Manitoba, Charles J. Gingras Collection #143.

Aerial view of the No. 3 Bombing and Gunnery School

Aerial view of the No. 3 Bombing and Gunnery School (May 1944)
Source: Archives of Manitoba, Charles J. Gingras Collection #146.

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N50.08015, W98.45754
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: No. 1 Air Navigation School (Wheatland, Municipality of Riverdale)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: No. 1 Air Navigation School Monument (Municipality of Riverdale)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: No. 5 Air Observers School (Winnipeg)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: No. 3 Bombing and Gunnery School (Macdonald, RM of Portage la Prairie)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: No. 7 Bombing and Gunnery School (Paulson, RM of Dauphin)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: No. 14 Elementary Flying Training School / No. 7 Air Observers School (Southport, RM of Portage la Prairie)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: No. 19 Elementary Flying Training School (RM of Wallace-Woodworth)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: No. 26 Elementary Flying Training School (Municipality of North Cypress-Langford)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: No. 26 Elementary Flying Training School, Eden Relief Field / Eden Airport (RM of Rosedale)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: No. 10 Service Flying Training School (RM of Dauphin)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: No. 10 Service Flying Training School, North Junction Relief Field (RM of Dauphin)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: No. 10 Service Flying Training School, Valley River Relief Field (RM of Dauphin)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: No. 12 Service Flying Training School / Commonwealth Air Training Plan Museum (Brandon)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: No. 12 Service Flying Training School, Chater Relief Field / Chater Aerodrome (RM of Elton)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: No. 12 Service Flying Training School, Douglas Relief Field (Municipality of North Cypress-Langford)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: No. 17 Service Flying Training School (Municipality of Souris-Glenwood)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: No. 17 Service Flying Training School, Hartney Relief Field / Hartney Aerodrome (Municipality of Grassland)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: No. 18 Service Flying Training School (Municipality of Gimli)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: No. 18 Service Flying Training School, Netley Relief Field / Netley Field (RM of St. Andrews)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: No. 33 Service Flying Training School (Municipality of North Cypress-Langford)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: No. 33 Service Flying Training School, Oberon Relief Field / Oberon Aerodrome (Municipality of North Cypress-Langford)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: No. 33 Service Flying Training School, Petrel Relief Field / Petrel Aerodrome (Municipality of North Cypress-Langford)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: No. 3 Wireless School (500 Shaftesbury Boulevard, Winnipeg)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Brandon Winter Fair Building / Brandon Arena / No. 2 Manning Depot (Eleventh Street, Brandon)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: No. 5 Release Centre / Jameswood Place South (Winnipeg)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: No. 8 Repair Depot / Jameswood Place (Winnipeg)

Sources:

“Two big Air Schools to be opened Monday,” Winnipeg Tribune, 11 February 1941, page 11.

“Mercer to take school Command,” Winnipeg Free Press, 18 February 1941, page 10.

“Bombing School opens at Macdonald,” Winnipeg Free Press, 10 March 1941, page 4.

“Big Bombing, Gunnery School gets started,” Winnipeg Tribune, 10 March 1941, page 9.

“Airmen from all over Anglo-Saxon world at pageant,” Winnipeg Free Press, 12 May 1941, page 3.

“Gibb will head Macdonald School,” Winnipeg Free Press, 9 February 1943, page 3.

“Wing-Cmdr. R. F. Gross heads Macdonald School,” Winnipeg Free Press, 20 July 1944, page 9.

“No. 3 B. and G. at Portage has announced postings,” Winnipeg Free Press, 9 September 1944, page 17.

“No. 2 Command Officers named,” Winnipeg Free Press, 1 December 1944, page 19.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough and Nathan Kramer.

Page revised: 11 October 2021

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | Questions | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2022 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.