Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 138 years

 


MHS
Events


Manitoba
History

No. 84


This Old
Elevator


Abandoned
Manitoba


War
Memorials
in Manitoba


Digitized
Local History
Books


Memorable
Manitobans


Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Central Navigation School / CFB Rivers (Wheatland, Municipality of Riverdale)

Link to:
Commanding Officers | Photos & Maps | Sources

During the Second World War, this site west of Rivers in what is now the Municipality of Riverdale was used for aircrew training under the Commonwealth Air Training Plan. Though hampered by weather-related construction delays, the base and school opened on 25 November 1940. Staff arrived in advance, having taken training at the RCAF Station at Trenton, Ontario. Trained on Avro Ansons, the initial class of airmen numbered some 500.

Commanding Officers

Period

Commanding Officer

1940-1941

Wing Commander R. M. Smith

1941-1943

Group Captain Alexander Lewis

1943-1945

Group Captain W. A. Murray

Photos & Maps

Former barracks of the Central Navigation School

Former barracks of the Central Navigation School (July 2015)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Location (lat/long): N50.00969, W100.30728
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Air Navigation School No. 1 Monument (Municipality of Riverdale)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Air Observers School No. 5 (Winnipeg)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Bombing and Gunnery School No. 3 (Macdonald, RM of Portage la Prairie)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Bombing and Gunnery School No. 7 (Paulson, RM of Dauphin)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Central Navigation School (Wheatland, Municipality of Riverdale)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Elementary Flying Training School No. 14 / Air Observers School No. 7 (Southport, RM of Portage la Prairie)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Elementary Flying Training School No. 19 (RM of Wallace-Woodworth)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Elementary Flying Training School No. 26 (Municipality of North Cypress-Langford)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: EFTS No. 26 Relief Field (RM of Rosedale)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Service Flying Training School No. 10 (RM of Dauphin)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Service Flying Training School No. 12 / Commonwealth Air Training Plan Museum (Brandon)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: SFTS No. 12 Relief Field No. 1 / Chater Aerodrome (RM of Elton)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: SFTS No. 12 Relief Field No. 2 (Municipality of North Cypress-Langford)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Service Flying Training School No. 17 (Municipality of Souris-Glenwood)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: SFTS No. 17 Relief Field / Hartney Aerodrome (Municipality of Grassland)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Service Flying Training School No. 18 (Municipality of Gimli)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Service Flying Training School No. 18 Relief Landing Field / Netley Field (RM of St. Andrews)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Service Flying Training School No. 33 (RM of North Cypress-Langford)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: SFTS No. 33 Relief Field No. 1 / Petrel Aerodrome (RM of North Cypress-Langford)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: SFTS No. 33 Relief Field No. 2 / Oberon Aerodrome (RM of North Cypress-Langford)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Wireless School No. 3 (500 Shaftesbury Boulevard, Winnipeg)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Brandon Winter Fair Building / Brandon Arena / Manning Depot No. 2 (Eleventh Street, Brandon)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Release Centre No. 5 / Jameswood Place South (Winnipeg)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Repair Depot No. 8 / Jameswood Place (Winnipeg)

Sources:

“November boom,” Winnipeg Free Press, 22 October 1940, page 3.

“Rivers Air School to open in November,” Winnipeg Free Press, 29 October 1940, page 5.

“Rivers Air School,” Winnipeg Free Press, 14 November 1940, page 19.

“Rivers Air School gets under way,” Winnipeg Free Press, 25 November 1940, page 3.

“R.C.A.F. Officers are promoted,” Winnipeg Free Press, 18 December 1940, page 21.

“Flying by stars,” Winnipeg Free Press, 29 September 1941, page 3.

“Murray takes Rivers Command,” Winnipeg Free Press, 12 January 1943, page 3.

“Seven air stations in Manitoba to hold final wings parades,” Winnipeg Free Press, 27 March 1945, page 3.

This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer and Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 12 April 2017

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2017 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.