Historic Sites of Manitoba: Deaf and Dumb Institute / Manitoba School for the Deaf / Winnipeg Juvenile Court / Detention Home for Juveniles / Detention Home School (Portage Avenue, Winnipeg)
Built between 1889 and 1890 at a cost of $14,478, on a design by Winnipeg architect Charles H. Wheeler, this three-storey brick building at the intersection of Sherbrook Street and Portage Avenue opened in late May 1890 and was used for 24 years as a facility for education of the profoundly deaf. The Manitoba School for the Deaf vacated the building in 1914, relocating to the Manitoba Agricultural College and the structure was reclaimed by the provincial government. The interior was remodeled (1915-1916), during which time the building was partially used by the University of Manitoba. It was then converted for use as the Winnipeg Juvenile Court, Detention Home for Juveniles, and Detention Home School.
Principals (Deaf and Dumb Institute)
Principals (Detention Home School)
Photos & Maps
“The charges are refuted,” Winnipeg Daily Tribune, 6 March 1890, page 2.
“The public accounts,” Manitoba Daily Free Press, 27 March 1890, page 5.
“City and Country [Deaf and Dumb Institute],” Manitoba Daily Free Press, 19 May 1890, page 8.
“A worthy institution,” Winnipeg Daily Tribune, 7 June 1890 page 4.
“Renovate Old Deaf and Dumb School; Govt. may use it,” Winnipeg Tribune, 27 September 1915, page 5.
“Will get two wings of old Law Courts,” Manitoba Free Press, 28 January 1916, page 7.
Henderson’s Winnipeg Directories, Peel’s Prairie Provinces, University of Alberta Libraries.
Page revised: 28 February 2015