Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 138 years

 


MHS
Events


Fall
Field Trip:
Ukrainian
Settlement


Manitoba
History

No. 84


This Old
Elevator


Abandoned
Manitoba


War
Memorials
in Manitoba


Digitized
Local History
Books


Memorable
Manitobans


Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Manitoba Agricultural College / Asper Jewish Community Campus (Tuxedo Avenue, Winnipeg)

Link to:
Principals | Vice-Principals | Teachers | Photos & Maps | Sources

The Manitoba Agricultural College was established in 1905, with the objective of educating students in modern farming practices. The first of its kind in Western Canada, and only the third in all of Canada, the college offered courses in horticulture, agricultural engineering, animal husbandry, farm management, and home economics. The buildings at the college’s first site, at what would later become part of Tuxedo, were designed by provincial architect Samuel Hooper. Among them was Roblin Hall, the red brick building seen at the left side of the postcard below, constructed around 1907, and named for premier R. P. Roblin.

By 1913, the college had outgrown the site and was relocated to a new one in the southern part of Winnipeg, in what later became the Fort Garry Campus of the University of Manitoba. The College was integrated into the University in 1924.

From 1914 to 1917, this site served as home for the Manitoba School for the Deaf, the first such institution in Western Canada. In 1917, it became a military convalescent and rehabilitation hospital for soldiers returning from the First World War. Two years later, the entire complex was taken over by the military and renamed Fort Osborne Barracks, replacing a similarly named facility on the grounds of the Manitoba Legislative. It remained the primary army base in Manitoba until 1968 when new barracks were constructed farther south, at Kapyong Barracks. The property was reacquired by the provincial government and several of the buildings were converted into offices for government departments. The main building was used as a juvenile court facility. Roblin Hall was demolished in the early 1980s, by which time it had been severely vandalized. Late in its life, purple dye for coloring gasoline intended for farm use was stored there, and vandals had made its interior a colorful mess.

The campus became a provincially-designated historic site in 1995. The property was sold in 1997 and redeveloped as the Asper Jewish Community Campus of Winnipeg.

Plaques at the site erected by the Manitoba Heritage Council commemorate the former Agricultural College, Rabbi Israel Isaac Kahanovitch, and the beginning of the Jewish community in Manitoba.

Principals

Period

Principal

1905-1915

William John Black (1872-1941)

1915-1920

J. B. Reynolds

1920-1922

John Bracken (1883-1969)

1922-1924

Charles Henry Lee (1879-?) - Acting

1924

William Christie McKillican (1882-1964)

Instructors (1909-1916)

Instructor

Subject

Period

Spencer Argyle Bedford (1851-1933)

Field Husbandry

1909-1911

J. E. Bergey

Poultry Husbandry

1915-1916

A. Blackstock

Animal Husbandry

1914-1915

W. Brandon

Engineering and Mechanics

1909

J. H. Bridge

Field Husbandry

1914-1916

F. W. Broderick

Horticulture and Forestry

1909-1916

J. M. C. Brown

Animal Husbandry

1916

J. D. Charlton

Engineering and Mechanics

1910

Mrs. Charlton-Salisbury

Home Economics

1911-1915

F. G. Churchill

Physics, Mathematics, Soils

1909-1916

M. F. Coglon

Chemistry

1911

David L. Cormack

Carpentry, Woodwork

1911-1913

Frederick Walter Crawford (1889-1967)

Animal Husbandry

1913-1914

W. J. Crowe

Buttermaking

1913

Robert Alexander Cunningham (1888-1918)

Chemistry

1913-1916

Miss B. A. Duncan

Household Economics, Cookery

1911-1914

Edith M. Eadie

Household Science

1915-1916

E. H. Farrell

Milk Testing

1910-1916

J. F. Francis

Poultry Husbandry

1916

A. J. Galbraith

Chemistry

1916

W. J. Gilmore

Engineering and Mechanics

1913-1915

A. R. Greig

Engineering and Mechanics

1909

H. M. Gowsell

Household Science

1916

T. J. Harrison

Field Husbandry

1913-1916

M. C. Herner

Poultry Husbandry

1913-1916

J. C. Hooper

Botany and Mathematics

1909-1911

C. R. Hopper

English

1913-1915

Vincent William Jackson (1876-1953)

Botany

1913-1916

F. S. Jacobs

Animal Husbandry

1916

E. W. Jones

Animal Husbandry

1914-1915

A. R. Judson

Field Husbandry

1916

Miss A. B. Juniper

Household Science

1910-1911

Miss Anna Kennedy

Physical Training

1916

Margaret Kennedy

Household Arts

1913-1916

Charles Henry Lee (1879-?)

Biology, Botany

1909-1916

Samuel Carson Lee (1872-1926)

Physics

1913-1916

J. McBrown

Animal Husbandry

1915

Eleanor G. McFadden

Household Science

1916

S. D. McGilvary

Veterinary Science

1913-1916

J. A. McGregor

Field Husbandry

1913-1915

P. H. McPherson

Engineering and Mechanics

1909-1910

Robert Milne

Agriculture and Engineering, Farm Machinery

1913-1916

J. W. Mitchell

Dairy Husbandry

1909-1916

L. A. Moorhouse

Field Husbandry

1913-1915

G. W. Morden

Chemistry

1909-1916

Alfred William Muldrew (1889-1976)

Mathematics and Physics

1916

R. W. Murchie

English

1916

J. A. Neilson

Horticulture and Forestry

1915

F. H. Newcombe

Animal Husbandry

1916

W. H. Peters

Animal Husbandry

1909-1914

R. Shafheitlen

Mathematics and Physics

1916

W. S. Shearer

English

1915

L. J. Smith

Engineering and Mechanics

1909-1916

George Albert Sproule (1872-1936)

English

1909-1916

Frederick Torrance (1859-1924)

Veterinary Science

1909-1911

I. Villeneuve

Cheesemaking

1913-1916

R. Watt

Blacksmithing

1913-1914

William Weir

Buttermaking

1916

G. G. White

Chemistry, Rural Economics and Farm Management

1909-1916

Gordon W. Wood

Animal Husbandry

1913-1916

Photos & Maps

Manitoba Agricultural College

Postcard view of the Manitoba Agricultural College (between 1907 and 1913)
Source: Rob McInnes, WP0833

Manitoba Agricultural College

Postcard view of the Manitoba Agricultural College, with Dufferin Hall at left (circa 1912)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough, 2013-0148

Manitoba Agricultural College

Roblin Hall (circa 1912)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough, 2016-0031

Postcard view of the former Manitoba Agricultural College buildings (circa 1908)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough, 2014-0318

Winnipeg Collegiate Institute

Postcard view of the Manitoba Agricultural College main building (circa 1911)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough, 2013-0074

Manitoba Agricultural College

The former Manitoba Agricultural College building, now part of the Asper Jewish Community Campus (June 2014)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Location (lat/long): N49.87193, W97.20957
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Manitoba Agricultural College / University of Manitoba, Fort Garry Campus (Winnipeg)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Fort Osborne Barracks Monument (Tuxedo Avenue, Winnipeg)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Manitoba School for the Deaf (500 Shaftesbury Boulevard, Winnipeg)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Provincially Designated Historic Sites

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Manitoba Agricultural College War Memorial (Fort Garry Campus, University of Manitoba)

Professionalism, Intellectual Practice, and the Educational State Structure in Manitoba Agriculture, 1890-1925 by Jeffery M. Taylor
Manitoba History, Number 18, Autumn 1989

Memorable Manitobans: Israel Isaac Kahanovitch (1872-1945)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Winnipeg Hebrew Free School (Talmud Torah) / German Society Building (121 Charles Street, Winnipeg)

Sources:

Provincial Government of Manitoba, Various Public Buildings, Government of Manitoba, circa 1912. [Legislative Library of Manitoba, F5605.4 Pro c.2]

Public Accounts, various years, Legislative Library of Manitoba.

Manitoba Agricultural College (Fort Osborne Barracks Site), 139 Tuxedo Avenue, Winnipeg, Manitoba Historic Resources Branch.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 20 March 2016

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2017 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.