Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 138 years

 


MHS
Events


Fall
Field Trip:
Ukrainian
Settlement


Manitoba
History

No. 84


This Old
Elevator


Abandoned
Manitoba


War
Memorials
in Manitoba


Digitized
Local History
Books


Memorable
Manitobans


Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Repair Depot No. 8 / Jameswood Place (Winnipeg)

Link to:
Commanding Officers | Photos & Maps | Sources

The Repair Depot (RD) No. 8 was a component of the Commonwealth Air Training Plan during the Second World War. Built in 1940 by the Bird Company at a cost of around $450,000, the large complex near Stevenson Field was located in the then-municipality of St. James, now a suburb of Winnipeg. The site featured seven huge repair hangars, two lean-to’s measuring 112 by 128 feet each, headquarters building, mess buildings, inflammable storage buildings, several workshops, garages, and assorted other structures. Its proximity to the Air Observer School No. 5 allowed for close integration and efficient aircraft repair.

Construction of the site involved around 300 labourers. Completed by October 1940, control of the facility was turned over to the Royal Canadian Air Force in mid-October and the site opened officially on 1 November 1940. When operating at full capacity, the base held the record of turning out more work per individual than any other Repair Depot in Canada. In addition to routine repair and overhaul of aircraft and engines, base personnel also salvaged plane wrecks and converted aircraft for specialized use, such as refitting three Norsemen planes into flying hospitals and modifying five Liberator bombers into transport planes.

The base ceased operation on 15 March 1946, at which time part of the site hosted an emergency housing community known as Jameswood Place. Buildings were gradually sold and removed or demolished through the early 1950s. The site was vacant by late 1954.

Commanding Officers

Period

Commanding Officer

1940-1941

Wing Commander George Lacey

1941-1943

Group Captain A. O. Adams

1943-1944

Wing Commander R. J. Beaumont

1944

Group Captain R. C. Hawtrey

1944-1945

Thomas Frederick “Tommy” Cooper (1891-1977)

Photos & Maps

Aerial view of Repair Depot No. 8

Aerial view of Repair Depot No. 8 (1944) by Charles J. Gingras
Source: Archives of Manitoba, Charles J. Gingras Collection #118.

Site Location (lat/long): N49.89591, W97.21478
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Air Navigation School No. 1 Monument (Municipality of Riverdale)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Air Observers School No. 5 (Winnipeg)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Bombing and Gunnery School No. 3 (Macdonald, RM of Portage la Prairie)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Bombing and Gunnery School No. 7 (Paulson, RM of Dauphin)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Central Navigation School (Wheatland, Municipality of Riverdale)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Elementary Flying Training School No. 14 / Air Observers School No. 7 (Southport, RM of Portage la Prairie)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Elementary Flying Training School No. 19 (RM of Wallace-Woodworth)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Elementary Flying Training School No. 26 (Municipality of North Cypress-Langford)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: EFTS No. 26 Relief Field (RM of Rosedale)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Service Flying Training School No. 10 (RM of Dauphin)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Service Flying Training School No. 12 / Commonwealth Air Training Plan Museum (Brandon)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: SFTS No. 12 Relief Field No. 1 / Chater Aerodrome (RM of Elton)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: SFTS No. 12 Relief Field No. 2 (Municipality of North Cypress-Langford)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Service Flying Training School No. 17 (Municipality of Souris-Glenwood)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: SFTS No. 17 Relief Field / Hartney Aerodrome (Municipality of Grassland)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Service Flying Training School No. 18 (Municipality of Gimli)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Service Flying Training School No. 18 Relief Landing Field / Netley Field (RM of St. Andrews)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Service Flying Training School No. 33 (RM of North Cypress-Langford)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: SFTS No. 33 Relief Field No. 1 / Petrel Aerodrome (RM of North Cypress-Langford)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: SFTS No. 33 Relief Field No. 2 / Oberon Aerodrome (RM of North Cypress-Langford)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Wireless School No. 3 (500 Shaftesbury Boulevard, Winnipeg)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Brandon Winter Fair Building / Brandon Arena / Manning Depot No. 2 (Eleventh Street, Brandon)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Release Centre No. 5 / Jameswood Place South (Winnipeg)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Repair Depot No. 8 / Jameswood Place (Winnipeg)

Sources:

“Work to start at once on an Air Observer School,” Winnipeg Tribune, 22 June 1940, page 21.

“Work to start at once on Air Observer School,” Winnipeg Tribune, 22 June 1940, page 21.

“Repair Depot contract goes to Bird Co.” Winnipeg Tribune, 4 July 1940, page 13.

“Trade Board report shows steady gain,” Winnipeg Tribune, 13 July 1940, page 17.

“Saskatoon’s huge Air Training School to open in month,” Winnipeg Tribune, 16 August 1940, page 11.

“Take over,” Winnipeg Tribune, 18 October 1940, page 5.

“War contracts in West cities,” Winnipeg Tribune, 22 October 1940, page 16.

“Prairies’ wide open spaces cradle air armada,” Winnipeg Tribune, 30 December 1940, page 42.

“Polish flier among group attached to Repair Depot,” Winnipeg Tribune, 13 January 1941, page 11.

“Victory Loan torch,” Winnipeg Tribune, 30 May 1941, page 15.

“Repair Depot has new O.C.,” Winnipeg Tribune, 3 December 1941, page 12.

“Beaumont is C.O. No. 8 Repair Depot,” Winnipeg Tribune, 23 May 1943, page 11.

“Biggest R.C.A.F. Church parade,” Winnipeg Tribune, 29 May 1943, page 25.

“Around the town,” Winnipeg Tribune, 26 April 1944, page 11.

“Church parades at Air Depots,” Winnipeg Tribune, 16 December 1944, page 17.

“Commonwealth Air Training Plan marks fifth birthday,” Winnipeg Free Press, 29 December 1944, page 23.

“Air Units hold mass service of Thanksgiving,” Winnipeg Tribune, 20 August 1945, page 7.

““Airplane hospital,” 8 R.D. closing soon,” Winnipeg Free Press, 16 February 1946, page 5.

“Scott says R.C.A.F. sites can house 1,600 people,” Winnipeg Free Press, 27 February 1946, page 1.

“R.C.A.F. auction sale,” Winnipeg Free Press, 28 February 1946, page 2.

“City of Winnipeg tender for demolition of removal of building [Jameswood Place South Building No. 5],” Winnipeg Free Press, 8 August 1952, page 7.

“City of Winnipeg tender for demolition of removal of building [Jameswood Place Building No. 8],” Winnipeg Free Press, 9 December 1952, page 27.

“City of Winnipeg tender for demolition of removal of building [Jameswood Place South Building No. 6],” Winnipeg Free Press, 22 December 1952, page 30.

Henderson’s Winnipeg and Brandon Directories, Peel’s Prairie Provinces, University of Alberta Libraries.

This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.

Page revised: 7 January 2017

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2017 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.