Historic Sites of Manitoba: Tuxedo School No. 1709 / Tuxedo School No. 1 (Winnipeg)
The Tuxedo School District was organized formally in January 1914 and a schoolhouse was constructed in the autumn of 1914 near the Canada Cement plant, in what is now the Linden Woods suburb of Winnipeg. When the district opened another facility, Tuxedo School No. 2 (later Tuxedo Park School), this site then became known as Tuxedo School No. 1. Classes were held here until June 1954. This school was not opened for the 1954-1955 school year owing to low enrollment and was not re-activated. In November 1955, the district put the building up for sale and removal from the site.
Among the teachers of Tuxedo School No. 1 were Dougald McDougall (Spring 1915), Perley A. Murphy (1915?), Wilfrid Franklin “Frank” Bevell (Fall 1915), S. Abrahamson (pt Spring 1916), Mary Abrahamson (substitute, pt Spring 1916), Oliver Henry Brown (pt Spring 1916, son of Robert E. Brown), and Stefan Bjorgvin Stefansson (Fall 1916 - Spring 1954).
Summative half-yearly returns for school districts (A 0051), GR0571, Archives of Manitoba.
School District Formation Files (E 0027), Tuxedo School District No. 1709, GR1688, Archives of Manitoba.
School division half-yearly attendance reports (E 0757), Archives of Manitoba.
Manitoba School Records Collection, Tuxedo School District No. 1709 [Tuxedo School & Tuxedo Park School Daily Registers / School Division No. 3] - Daily Registers, GR10356, Archives of Manitoba.
“Classroom jam faces seven school districts [Tuxedo School enrolment down],” Winnipeg Free Press, 21 August 1954, page 3.
“Tenders [... for purchase of Tuxedo School No. 1],” Winnipeg Free Press, 22 November 1955, page 22.
Obituary [Stefan Bjorgvin Stefansson (1889-1971)], Winnipeg Free Press, 30 March 1971, page 36.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Page revised: 27 February 2023