MHS Centennial Business: Manitoba Government Telephones / Manitoba Telephone System / MTS Allstream / Bell MTS
On 30 December 1907, the Manitoba government purchased the telephone system belonging to the Bell Telephone Company in Manitoba, for the sum of $3,300,000, and established Manitoba Government Telephones to operate them. It was renamed the Manitoba Telephone System in 1933. Later known by the acronym MTS, in 1996 the firm was privatized by the provincial government of Gary Filmon. All assets of the company were purchased by Bell Canada in March 2017, and it now operates as Bell MTS.
On 5 April 2008, an MHS Centennial Business Award was presented to MTS Chief Executive Officer Pierre Blouin, at the Third Annual Manitoba Business Adventurers Banquet, by Manitoba Lieutenant-Governor John Harvard, MHS President J. M. Bumsted, and Asper School of Business Dean Glenn Feltham.
Commissioners / Chairmen
“Lowry will be new telephone commissioner,” Winnipeg Tribune, 9 February 1921, page 1.
“Peter Millar named 'phones commissioner,” Winnipeg Tribune, 28 February 1945, page 25.
People of Service: A Brief History of the Manitoba Telephone System, 3rd edition by Robert H. Drain for MTS Corporate Communications, Winnipeg, 1991. [Manitoba Legislative Library]
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 19 December 2020