Memorable Manitobans: Francis Charles Paterson (1865-?)
Born at Kingston, Ontario on 4 December 1865, son of Robert Drummond Paterson and Emma Andrews (?-1877), brother of George A. Paterson, he came with his family to Winnipeg in June 1872 where his father worked as a contractor and builder. He was educated at Winnipeg then worked successively for the R. J. Whitla Company, Ashdown Hardware Company, and Merchants Bank of Canada. In 1883 he moved to Brandon to work for himself. While there he became connected with the Bell Telephone Company of Canada, spending 16 years there in the telegraph offices of the Canadian Pacific Railway and the Dominion Express Company.
In 1903, he returned from a trip abroad and was appointed Western Manager of the Bell Telephone Company of Canada, being responsible for the territory between Fort William, Ontario and Alberta. He was actively involved in the establishment of telephone service throughout Western Canada. In 1908, after the company was purchased by the Manitoba government, he was active in extending telephone service to farmers around the province, as Chairman of Manitoba Government Telephones (1908-1912). He retired from business in 1912.
In 1884, he married Margaret Frances Cameron (?-1938) at Brandon. They subsequently had four children: Emma Andrews Paterson (1887-?, wife of J. D. Oramsby), Isabella Cameron “Belle” Paterson (1889-?), Robert Alexander Paterson (1892-?), and Florence Edith Paterson (1892-1940). He was a member of the Manitoba Club and Augustine Presbyterian Church.
Birth registrations, Manitoba Vital Statistics.
1901 Canada census, Automated Genealogy.
“Mrs. F. C. Paterson dies,” Winnipeg Tribune, 17 March 1938, page 2.
“Florence Edith Paterson,” Brandon Sun, 13 June 1940, page 10.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 8 March 2016