This two-storey brick and stone building on Sherbrook Street in Winnipeg was designed by local architect Samuel Hooper and constructed in 1909 by contractors J. M. Kelly and J. J. Kelly for Manitoba Government Telephones. In 1922, the first transmitters and studios for the government-owned CKY radio station were installed here and, on 13 March 1923, the station officially began to broadcast with a strength of 500 watts. Within five years, the power was increased to 5,000 watts and, on 1 December 1934, it increased to 15,000 watts. The station moved to new quarters in May 1937 and it was taken over by the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC) in mid-1948.
CKY Winnipeg in the 1920s: Canada’s Only Experiment in Government Monopoly Broadcasting by Mary Vipond
Manitoba History, Number 12, Autumn 1986
Memorable Manitobans: Samuel Hooper (1851-1911)
Memorable Manitobans: Douglas Richard Proctor “Darby” Coats (c1892-1973)
Memorable Manitobans: Lillian Shaw (1906-1996)
Memorable Manitobans: William Francis “Billy” Seller (1893-1985)
MHS Centennial Business: Manitoba Government Telephones / Manitoba Telephone System / MTS Allstream / Bell MTS
“CKY ‘comes of age’,” Manitoba Calling, March 1944, page 1.
Manitoba Telephone System, Sherbrook Exchange, 297 Sherbrook Street by Murray Peterson, Peterson Projects, December 2009.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 27 February 2022
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.