This small, one-storey brick building along Manitoba Highway #2 near Wawanesa, in the Municipality of Oakland-Wawanesa, was designed by architect Robert Bryan Ross and constructed in 1950 to house “J” Carrier Repeaters, a component of the Trans-Canada Telecommunications System. It is situated almost exactly 40 miles away from Telecommunications Building #2 and 80 miles from Telecommunications Building #3, in a nearly straight line. During the 1950s, the equipment inside the building was owned and operated by the Manitoba Telephone System.
Memorable Manitobans: Robert Bryan Ross (1908-1983)
MHS Centennial Business: Manitoba Government Telephones / Manitoba Telephone System / MTS Allstream / Bell MTS
“Tenders Manitoba Telephone System,” Winnipeg Free Press, 12 June 1950, page 28.
We thank Jim Hicks, Jordan Makichuk, and Rose Kuzina for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 8 June 2023
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.