Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 139 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop


Manitoba
History

No. 86


This Old
Elevator


Abandoned
Manitoba


Memorable
Manitobans


Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Manitoba Business: Russell Banner

The Russell Banner originated in 1897 when George Meikle came from Saltcoats, North West Territories [now Saskatchewan] and established a folio paper that he called Canada Musings. In 1898, he renamed it The Banner. It has operated continuously ever since then.

Publishers

Period

Publisher

1897-1900

George Meikle

1900-1936

Joseph “Joey” McIntyre (1875-1968)

1936-1972

Edward Cecil “Cec” Sanderson (1906-1984)

1972-2003

Clayton G. “Inky” Chaloner

2003-?

Gilroy family

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Merchants Bank Building / Russell Banner Building (310 Main Street, Russell, Municipality of Russell-Binscarth)

Sources:

Obituary [Joseph McIntyre], Winnipeg Free Press, 6 August 1968, page 26.

The Story of Manitoba’s Weekly Newspapers by Major A. M. Pratt, The Manitoba Weekly Newspapers Association, 1970, pages 239-240.

Obituary [Edward Cecil Sanderson], Winnipeg Free Press, 7 September 1984, page 42.

Burial transcriptions, Manitoba Genealogical Society.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 10 January 2018

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2018 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.