Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 141 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Elmwood Telephone Exchange Building (230 Martin Avenue West, Winnipeg)

This one-storey brick building at the southwest corner of Martin Avenue West and Brazier Street in Winnipeg was designed by local architect Alexander D. Melville and built for the Manitoba Telephone System. Announced in January 1928, the $600,000 facility was tendered in early March, and constructed later that year by contractor H. W. Walin at a cost of $35,000. It was used as a satellite branch of the St. John’s Telephone Exchange Building. It has since been converted to residential use.

Elmwood Telephone Exchange Building

Elmwood Telephone Exchange Building (November 2016)
Source: Nathan Kramer

Site Location (lat/long): N49.91517, W97.11020
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

MHS Centennial Business: Manitoba Government Telephones / Manitoba Telephone System / MTS Allstream / Bell MTS

Sources:

This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.

Page revised: 9 April 2020

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2020 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.