Historic Sites of Manitoba: St. James Telephone Exchange Building (340 Rutland Street, Winnipeg)
A one-storey brick building at the intersection of Rutland Street and Ness Avenue, in the St. James area of Winnipeg, was designed by local architect William Fingland. It was constructed between 1915 and 1916, by contractors Aaron Grey and Davidson using red bricks from the Leary Brickworks, for the Manitoba Telephone System at a cost of about $6,000. An addition on its south side was designed by architect John Manuel and built in 1925. The building was later used by Manitoba Hydro.
In October 2021, the Winnipeg city council approved demolition of the building to enable the site to be developed for three private residences. It was demolished in February 2022.
“Work starts Assiniboine exchange,” Manitoba Free Press, 28 July 1915, page 10.
Henderson’s Winnipeg and Brandon Directories, Peel’s Prairie Provinces, University of Alberta Libraries.
“Tenders,” Winnipeg Tribune, 18 July 1925, page 16.
Biographical Dictionary of Architects in Canada, 1800-1950 by Robert G. Hill, Toronto.
“Century-old building to come down,” The Metro, 13 October 2021, page 4.
We thank Josh Markham, George Penner, Erin Shipley, and Jordan Makichuk for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 18 September 2022