Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 143 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Telephone Exchange Building / Gilbert Plains Library (113 Main Street North, Gilbert Plains, Municipality of Gilbert Plains)

Designed by Winnipeg architect John Hamilton Gordon Russell and built in 1927, this small one-storey brick building on Main Street in Gilbert Plains housed local circuitry for the Manitoba Telephone System. It is currently occupied by the Gilbert Plains Library as part of the Parkland Regional Library System.

Telephone Exchange Building at Gilbert Plains

Telephone Exchange Building at Gilbert Plains (no date)
Source: Jordan Makichuk

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N51.14987, W100.48922
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Memorable Manitobans: John Hamilton Gordon Russell (1863-1946)

MHS Centennial Business: Manitoba Government Telephones / Manitoba Telephone System / MTS Allstream / Bell MTS

Sources:

“Tenders,” Manitoba Free Press, 30 August 1927, page 17.

This page was prepared by Jordan Makichuk and Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 1 April 2022

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep history alive!

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2022 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.