MHS Centennial Organization: University of Winnipeg
In the 1870s, on the heels of the founding of Manitoba in 1870, an acute need for advanced education was addressed by the founding, in 1873, of Manitoba College by the Presbyterian church and Wesley College by the Methodists, in 1877. In that latter year, both became active participants in the loose affiliation known as the University of Manitoba and, indeed, George Bryce of Manitoba College would prove instrumental in putting the University of Manitoba on a more formal foundation, in 1904. The two colleges were united in 1938 under the name of United College which, in 1967, received a charter to become the University of Winnipeg. Today, still rooted firmly in the heart of the city it serves so well, the University of Winnipeg offers outstanding education in the liberal arts and sciences to a diverse student body.
An MHS Centennial Organization Award was presented to the University of Winnipeg by Gordon Goldsborough on 16 May 2004.
We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 22 June 2019Back to top of page