Memorable Manitobans: Gordon Lawson (1904-1995)
Born at Dominion City on 1 October 1904, son of Henry Lawson and Catherine Anne Renwick, he was educated at Dominion City School and Kelvin High School, graduating from the latter in 1920. He began working for the Merchants Bank of Canada at Dominion City in 1920. After it became the Bank of Montreal, he served at branches in Portage la Prairie, Souris, and Winnipeg. He resigned in June 1928 to join the head office of James Richardson and Sons, where he held the positions of Secretary-Treasurer, Vice-President of Finance, Senior Vice-President, and Director. He also held offices or directorships on several of the Richardson companies. He was a director of Eldorado Nuclear, Beaver Lumber Company, Monarch Life Assurance Company, and Valley Camp Coal Company of Cleveland. He was a member of the Board of Macdonald Brothers Aircraft (1940) and subsequently Bristol Aerospace and Rolls Royce North America Limited.
He was President of the Grain Exchange Curling Club (1939), President of the Niakwa Golf and Country Club (1950-1951), President of the Winnipeg Football Club (1960-1961), Treasurer of the Manitoba Cancer Research Foundation, Chairman of the Manitoba Medical Services Inc., Treasurer of the Winnipeg Clinic Research Institute, and a member of the Advisory Board for the Winnipeg Foundation and the Manitoba Centennial Corporation. He was given an honorary doctorate by the University of Winnipeg (1974) and was inducted into the Blue Bombers Hall of Fame (1985).
He died at Winnipeg on 25 March 1995.
“These Manitobans will help plan centennial,” Winnipeg Free Press, 13 September 1963, page 9.
Obituary, Winnipeg Free Press, 27 March 1995, page 22.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 6 April 2020
Back to top of page