Historic Sites of Manitoba: Manitoba College / St. Paul’s College (Ellice Avenue, Winnipeg)
Manitoba College was founded in 1871 by the Reverend George Bryce. Affiliated with the Presbyterian church in Manitoba, the College was one of the founding colleges making up the University of Manitoba. In 1882, it occupied an elaborate building on Ellice Avenue in Winnipeg designed by architect Charles A. Barber and built by Robert D. Paterson. Following unification of the Presbyterian, Methodist, and Congregationalist faiths in 1925, it cooperated more closely with its Methodist counterpart, Wesley College.
In 1931, the college building was sold to the Roman Catholic Church and became the home of St. Paul’s College (now situated at the University of Manitoba’s main campus in Fort Garry), expanded slightly on a design by Winnipeg architects Arthur E. Cubbidge and Edward Parkinson. In 1938, Manitoba College merged formally with Wesley College to form United College, precursor of the University of Winnipeg. The old college building was demolished in 1964.
Principals (Manitoba College)
Photos & Maps
“Corner stone is laid,” Winnipeg Tribune, 29 July 1905, page 5.
“Two pastors given honorary degrees,” Manitoba Free Press, 4 April 1914, page 4.
“Wins gold medal in oratory contest,” Manitoba Free Press, 26 February 1915, page 16.
“Induction of Principal MacKay takes place tonight,” Manitoba Free Press, 15 October 1919, page 3.
“Dr. M’Kay is guest of honor at banquet,” Manitoba Free Press, 17 October 1919, page 4.
Page revised: 13 March 2018
Back to top of page