Manitoba Organization: Manitoba Club
The first of its kind in western Canada, the Manitoba Club was founded on 16 July 1874 at a meeting held at the St. James restaurant in Winnipeg. Attending the meeting were several prominent Manitoba businessman: A. G. B. Bannatyne, Henry T. Champion, W. Gouin, Gilbert McMicken, J. A. N. Provencher, C. W. Radiger, Joseph Royal, W. Osborne Smith, Major Taschereau, and W. B. Taylor.
The Club admitted its first Jewish members in 1972 and its first female members in 1991.
Honorary Life Members
“Welcome to the club,” Winnipeg Free Press, 9 February 1992, page 13.
120 Years at the Manitoba Club: 1874-1994, Winnipeg: Manitoba Club, 1994.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 14 December 2020