Memorable Manitobans: Harvey Richard Brown (1895-1962)
Educator, school inspector.
Born at Wallaceburg, Ontario on 17 February 1895, he moved with his family to Deloraine in 1906 and subsequently attended the Brandon Normal School and later Manitoba College. During the First World War, he served overseas with the 196th University Battalion, was invalided home as a result of wounds received at Passchendaele, and was discharged in 1918. He resumed his studies and completed a BA degree (1920) and Bachelor of Law degree (1923). He also took a course at the University of Chicago.
He was Principal at McCreary School (1923-1925), Wawanesa School (1925-1926), Treherne School (1926-1927), and Neepawa School (1927-1929). He then joined the teaching staff of the Brandon Collegiate and remained there until being offering the Principalship of The Pas School in September 1934, staying there until 1938. He was then Principal at Transcona School (1938-1939). In 1939, he was appointed as a School Inspector with the Manitoba Department of Education, following which he received a BEd degree. In 1941, he became and Official Trustee for the Province of Manitoba, returning to his position as a School Inspector in 1947, first at Steinbach and later (1949) at St. James, succeeding E. D. Parker. He retired in 1960.
1911 Canada census, Automated Genealogy.
Attestation papers, Canadian Expeditionary Force, Library and Archives Canada.
Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.
“Education department makes staff changes,” Winnipeg Free Press, 25 July 1949, page 6.
Obituary, Winnipeg Free Press, 16 July 1962, page 20.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 15 January 2016