The Memorable Manitobans collection has been compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society to raise awareness of noteworthy Manitobans of the past. To be considered for inclusion in the collection, the following criteria will apply:
1. THE PERSON MUST BE DECEASED. Very rare exceptions are made for living people who, at the determination of the Manitoba Historical Society, have made important contributions to Manitoba life.
2. The person must have been noteworthy in any of several respects:
a) Held office as leader of a provincial, national, or international organization, or
b) Held office as leader of a municipal government, or members of a provincial or national government, or
c) Been recognized publicly for community service at the provincial, national, or international level, or
d) Made noteworthy and publicly recognized contributions on behalf of a particular group of people, or
e) Made noteworthy and publicly recognized contributions to the development or enhancement of a particular field, discipline, or industry in Manitoba, or
f) Made publicly recognized contributions to the advancement of public knowledge through some facet of sciences and engineering, arts, or humanities, or
g) Other aspects not identified above, but for which a case can be made that a person has brought distinction and honour upon themselves and/or the community by virtue of their actions.
3. For those whose achievements pertain to their employment, there should be a demonstrated, distinguished record of accomplishment beyond the basic expectation of that employment.
4. In rare cases, people with generally unremarkable or dishonourable histories may be considered for inclusion in Memorable Manitobans if some facet of their past warrants preservation as a lesson to future generations.
5. Ultimately, selection of persons for inclusion in Memorable Manitobans will be at the sole discretion of the Manitoba Historical Society.
If you wish to propose the addition of a person to the Memorable Manitobans collection, please contact us at email@example.com.
Components of a typical biography in Memorable Manitobans
- Birth date and place
- Names of parents
- Educational details (schools attended, subjects of specialization, degrees received)
- Career highlights (dates and places of employment, offices held, notable achievements)
- Hobbies and interests, charitable activities, etc.
- Death date and place
- Location of burial (if applicable)
- Portrait photo
Page revised: 6 June 2020
Back to top of page
This is a collection of noteworthy Manitobans from the past, compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
Search the collection by word or phrase, name, place, occupation or other text:
Browse surnames beginning with:
A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | Y | Z | 2017