Historic Sites of Manitoba: McCreary School No. 1348 (McCreary, Municipality of McCreary)
The Rosamond School District was established formally in May 1905 and a two-storey, four-classroom school building was erected in McCreary, at the time a part of the Rural Municipality of McCreary. In 1936, it became McCreary Municipal School No. 1348 and, in 1959, McCreary Consolidated School No. 1348. It later became part of the Turtle River School Division.
The school building is no longer present at the site. However, the old school bell (restored in 1987) tops a stone monument that was unveiled at the site on 31 July 1994, along with a plaque listing other rural schools that operated in the McCreary region:
Among the other teachers of McCreary School were Irene Bell (1938), Elizabeth Telford (1938), Violet Edwards (1938), J. F. Ennis (1938), and W. A. Toews.
Photos & Maps
“The local round,” Dauphin Herald, 20 October 1938, page 9.
Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Manitoba Heritage Council Commemorative Plaques and Manitoba Community Commemorative Plaques, Fiscal Year 1994-1995, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Culture, Heritage and Citizenship, page 33.
We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 16 July 2018
Back to top of page