Historic Sites of Manitoba: Assiniboine Memorial Park Cemetery / Chapel Lawn Memorial Gardens (4000 Portage Avenue, Winnipeg)
Formerly known as the Assiniboine Memorial Park Cemetery, this cemetery in west Winnipeg, complete with mausoleum and columbarium, was opened around August 1929 on Lots 90-93 in the Parish of St. Charles. As of late 1950, its name was changed to Chapel Lawn Memorial Gardens. The service building was designed by Dwight R. Johnston and constructed by the A. W. Peterson Construction Company.
Among the noteworthy people buried in this cemetery are Lewis St. George Stubbs and Sally Warnock.
McPhillips Plan of the Municipality of Assiniboia, 1907, Archives of Manitoba.
“Thousands at funeral of St. James fireman,” Manitoba Free Press, 31 August 1929, page 6.
“This space reserved,” Manitoba Free Press, 20 March 1930, page 3.
Henderson’s Winnipeg and Brandon Directories, Peel’s Prairie Provinces, University of Alberta Libraries.
Chapel Lawn Memorial Gardens Service Building, Winnipeg Architecture Foundation.
This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer, Gordon Goldsborough, and Christine Loff.
Page revised: 28 June 2019