Historic Sites of Manitoba: Wawanesa School No. 672 (Wawanesa, Municipality of Oakland-Wawanesa)
The Wawanesa School District was established formally in March 1891 and a school building was erected in Wawanesa, in what is now the Municipality of Oakland-Wawanesa. It was replaced by a two-storey brick structure in 1925. In January 1961, it became Wawanesa Consolidated School No. 2393, consolidating with several rural schools from the surrounding area: Sourisburg School No. 136, Northfield School No. 264, Hilton School No. 395, Tenterfield School No. 653, and Treesbank School No. 1004. The building is no longer on the site but a monument commemorates it.
Photos & Maps
“The Indian famine fund,” Winnipeg Tribune, 4 March 1897, page 4.
Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 30 May 2019
Back to top of page