Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 140 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Endangered Top 10
Endangered
Top 10
2019

Jens Munk at Churchill
Field Trip:
Churchill
2020

Manitoba History No. 89
Manitoba
History

No. 89

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Glenella School No. 1006 (Glenella, RM of Glenella-Lansdowne)

Link to:
Principals | Vice-Principals | Teachers | Photos & Coordinates | Sources

When settlers began arriving in the Rural Municipality of Glenella in the early 1890s, schools were built to accommodate their children. As many as 27 schools existed at one time, but some closed as farms on marginal land were abandoned. The remaining ones were eventually consolidated into Glenella Municipal School No. 1006 in the village of Glenella. In 1966, the Glenella school district became part of the Turtle River School Division No. 32. A monument in Glenella, in the present-day Rural Municipality of Glenella-Lansdowne, commemorates the students and teachers who passed through local schools between 1892 and 1990. The bell on its top was donated by Christ the King Roman Catholic Church at Glenella.

Principals

Period

Principal

1915-1916

William Skidmore (c1885-?)

1916-1917

H. L. French

1917-1918

William R. Layer

1918-1922

?

1922-1926

P. A. Murphy

1926-1927

B. F. McLeod

1927-1928

William Hasselfield

1928-1930

Charles Lyon Maris (1902-1977)

1930-1934

Victor Wellington Jenkins (1884-?)

1934-1938

?

1938-1941

Mac Lane Turner (1915-1956)

1941-1947

Cecil Victor Gunn (1894-?)

1947-1948

N. Kelly

1948-1953

Douglas Alexander Thomson (c1919-1965)

1953-1954

Frank Veregin (1931-2001)

1954-1955

George W. Fellowes

1955-1958

Joseph R. “Joe” Minarik (1930-1995)

1958-1959

William Sul

1959-1960

J. Shewchuk

1960-1961

James M. Richtik

1961-1963

N. Constantinesco

1963-1964

R. K. Bell

1964-1965

D. M. Leswick

1965-1968

A. M. Marciski

1968-1983

Harvey Lloyd Walker (1942-2010)

1983-1984

?

1984-1985

Marjorie Marciski

Teachers

School Year

Teachers

1980-1981

Betty Aitken, Ruth Emisch, Marjorie Marciski, Joan McDonald, Sharon Sawchuk, Irene Sulik

1981-1982

?

1982-1983

Betty Aitken, Carol Bulas, Marjorie Marciski, Joan McDonald, Sharon Sawchuk, Irene Sulik

1983-1984

?

1984-1985

Betty Aitken, Carol Bulas, Joan McDonald, Sharon Sawchuk, Irene Sulik, Harvey L. Walker

Photos & Coordinates

“Junior room” of Glenella Municipal School No. 1006, the second school at the site, built in 1915

“Junior room” of Glenella Municipal School No. 1006, the second school at the site, built in 1915 (no date) by C. K. Rogers
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-2, page 39.

The second Glenella School, now a seniors’ centre

The second Glenella School, now a seniors’ centre (May 2012)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

“Senior room” of Glenella Municipal School No. 1006, the third school at the site,
built in 1921

“Senior room” of Glenella Municipal School No. 1006, the third school at the site,
built in 1921 (no date) by C. K. Rogers
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-2, page 39.

The third Glenella School building

The third Glenella School building (circa 1990)
Source: Historic Resources Branch, Public School Buildings Inventory, slide 443.

The third Glenella School, built in 1921, now used for storage at N50.55371, W99.18943

The third Glenella School, built in 1921, now used for storage at N50.55371, W99.18943 (August 2013)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Glenella Schools commemorative monument

Glenella Schools commemorative monument (May 2012)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N50.55740, W99.19266
denoted by symbol on the map above

Glenella Area Schools

School

Period of Operation

Location(s)

Armstrong School

1916-1967

SW21-20-13W

Bellhampton School

1909-1957

SE9-20-12W

Budka School

1914-1955

SW34-19-13W

Camperdown School

1903-1955

NE15-18-14W

Cory School

1917-1967

NW22-15-12W

Davey School

1915-1926

NW25-19-11W

Elkwood School

1912-1959

NE24-20-11W

Falmouth School

1917-1962

NE34-18-11W

Ferguson School

1916-1936

SE19-19-11W

Germania School

1899-1917

SW34-18-12W

Glenallan School

1892-1967

SE30-18-14W &
NE19-18-14W

Glenella Municipal School

1899-present

4 sites

Goodlands School

1900-1961

SE2-19-13W &
SE10-19-13W

Grass Marsh School

1933-1966

SE15-18-11W

Grass River Colony School

1968-present

SE19-18-12W

Grassy River School

1902-1966

NE6-18-11W

Griffith School

1917-1959

SE20-20-12W

Herriot School

1917-1965

NW34-18-12W

Lake Mary School

1914-1935

SE30-20-11W

Lucania School

1904-1966

NW19-18-12W

Mafeking School

1902-1930

SE20-19-12W

Maitland School

1893-1967

SW2-18-12W

Molesworth School

1893-1967

NE30-17-13W &
NE19-17-13W

Oakleaf School

1893-1967

NW32-17-14W

Reedy Creek School

1919-1936

21-20-11W

Rocklands School

1914-1941

SE6-20-11W

Tenby School

1896-1968

SE13-18-13W &
NW26-17-13W

Sources:

Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

“Teachers begin year in Turtle River S.D.,” Dauphin Herald, 10 September 1980, page 24.

“Teachers ready in Turtle River,” Dauphin Herald, 1 September 1982, page 18.

“Teachers in Turtle River schools,” Dauphin Herald, 9 October 1984, page 30.

A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.

We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough and Allan Drysdale.

Page revised: 30 November 2019

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2019 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.