The Lucania School District was established formally in May 1904, and a school building was erected the next year at this site in what is now the Municipality of Glenella-Lansdowne. The school closed in 1966. The building was moved and remaining standing as of 2020. A monument commemorates it at the original site.
Children in front of Lucania School (Spring 1926)
Source: Jennifer Brulé
Lucania School (no date) by C. K. Rogers
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-2, page 92.
Lucania School commemorative monument (May 2012)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N50.56034, W99.12312
denoted by symbol on the map above
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
We thank Jennifer Brulé and Lorna Clark for providing information used here..
This page was prepared by Allan Drysdale and Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 6 September 2020
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.