Historic Sites of Manitoba: Falmouth School No. 1856 (RM of Alonsa)
This location in the Rural Municipality of Alonsa was the site of Falmouth School. The school district was organized formally in February 1917 and the one-room schoolhouse became part of the Glenella municipal school system in 1936. The school closed in 1936 and, henceforth, students in the area went to school in Glenella. A monument there commemorats Falmouth School. The former school building and its associated teacherage remained at the site for many years and were used by a local farmer for equipment storage and as a vehicle garage. In deteriorating condition, the school was finally burned down around 2010, the teacherage having been removed years earlier.
Among the former teachers of Falmouth School was Catherine Wiens, wife of novelist F. P. Grove, who referred to the facility in his writing as “Plymouth School.”
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.
“Author left some red faces” by Bill Redekop, Winnipeg Free Press, 26 August 2003, page B2.
We thank Logan Dumanske, who lives near the former site of Falmouth School, and Darryl Toews and Alvin Suderman for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 18 January 2021