Historic Sites of Manitoba: Maitland School No. 802 (Municipality of Glenella-Lansdowne)
The Maitland School District was established formally in October 1893, and a school building was erected on the southwest quarter of 2-18-12 west of the Principal Meridian in what is now the Municipality of Glenella-Lansdowne. With growing student enrollment, a second larger building was erected in October 1913. The school closed in December 1967 and its remaining students went to Plumas Consolidated School No. 88. The building is no longer present at the site but a monument dedicated on 10 August 1996 commemorates it. A building model and a school bell in a glass case top the monument.
The teacher of Maitland School were H. E. Chaplain (1894), James Patterson (1895-1896), Mary Tighe (1897), Cora M. Seely (1897-1898), John Tighe (1897-1898), Roland Jickling (1898-1901, 1906), William J. Andrew (1901-1902), Adolf Haentzchel (1901-1902), Herman Jonas (1902-1903), Herman Reinitz (1903-1905), Arthur Lohmann (1905), Arthur V. B. Lamont (1907), Ada Hughes (1907-1908), A. C. Sweet (1907-1908), Lizzie Lowery (1908-1910), Mary Reid (1910-1911), R. Mallock (1911-1912), Albert Tassler (1912-1913), Sara Romanovsky (1912-1913), Ethel M. Burnett (1912-1913), G. L. Stuart (1913-1914), Margarete Fredericks (1914-1916), Eva Bell (1916-1917), Beatrice Ferguson (1916-1917), M. Mansfield (1916-1917), May Mayers (1917-1918), H. Sweet (1918-1919), M. Munroe (1919-1920), Charlotte Gentry (1920-1927), H. Thorne (1927-1928), Dorris Murray (1928-1929), Jessie Little (1929-1932), Bernice Raven (1932-1934), Ed Maquire (1934-1935), Grant Carnegie (1935-1937), A. Thomas (1937-1938), Leonard Floyde (1938-1939), Gertrude Peterson (1939-1940), Myrtle Johnston (1940-1942), Jessie Peters (1942-1943), Ida Toews (1943-1944), Jacob A. Thiessen (1944-1945), Alvina Kletke (1945-1946), Walter A. Konig (1946-1947), Vera Gessela Kautz (1947-1948), Maria Elizabeth “Betty” Steertz (1948-1949), Alexander Dirks (1949-1951), Agnes Single (1951-1952), Jack Mohr (1952-1956), Barrie Kent Heiman (1956-1957), Frank Porada (1957-1958), Brian Adams (1958-1959), Wilhelmina Elsie Jean Bradley (1959-1962), James Andrew Weber (1962-1964), Garry Albert Otke (1964-1965), and Marina Rose Schettler (1965-1967).
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Tracks of Time: Glenella and Districts by Glenella History Committee, 1990. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.G65 Tra]
Manitoba Heritage Council Commemorative Plaques and Manitoba Community Commemorative Plaques, Fiscal Year 1995-1996, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Culture, Heritage and Citizenship, page 22.
Manitoba School Records Collection, Maitland School District No. 802 Daily Registers, GR3152, Archives of Manitoba.
Page revised: 16 July 2018
Back to top of page