Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 144 years

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Camperdown School No. 1240 (Municipality of Glenella-Lansdowne)

The map location shown for this Historic Site of Manitoba is APPROXIMATE.
If you know its exact location, please contact us at

The Camperdown School District was organized formally in June 1903 and a one-room schoolhouse was built at NE15-18-14W in what is now the Municipality of Glenella-Lansdowne. The district became part of the Glenella Municipal School District in 1936. A new schoolhouse was built in 1945 at SE23-18-14W. The school closed in 1955 and afterward students were bused to Glenella School. The former school building was moved a half mile east of Waldersee where it was used for a time as Cory School, then later moved to the Grass River Hutterite Colony where it continued use as a school.

The teachers of Camperdown School were S. Herber Gordon (1905-1906), Miss Pearl McRae (1906-1907), Miss L. Dewar (1906-1907), Pearl M. Campbell (1907-1908), May Reid (1908), M. Jean McCaffery (1909-1911), Victoria R. Turner (1912-1913), Irene M. Aldridge (1913-1915), Lillian Sedore (1915-1916), D. Ganetsky (1915-1916), Gertrude Bradley (1916-1917), Mildred Williams (1917-1918), L. M. Kitson (1918-1919), Milly R. Gallop (1919-1920), Gertrude Mabley (1920), Cora Lee (1920-1922), Mabel Maguire (1921), Jean Gunn (1922), Emma Haggerty (1923), Florence McKay (1923), G. E. Ferguson (1924), Mary McDonald (1925), Ruby Allen (1926), G. F. Olafson (1926-1927), Lily Erlendson (1927-1928), Elizabeth McIvor (1928), C. J. Lovatt (1929-1934), Olive Orth (1934-1935), Miss M. E. Clark (1935-1937), Rose L. McEwan (1938-1940), Joyce McFarland (1940-1941), Iona Stella Taylor (1942-1943), Elizabeth Martin (1942-1943), E. Irene Frazer (1943-1944), Muriel B. Wetherill (1944-1945), Erwin Schmidt (1945-1946), J. M. Slawinsky (1946-1947), Elsie Dann (1947-1948), Steve Potrebka (1948-1949), Elsie J. Henry (1949-1950), Marven Hengen (1950-1951), Doreen Melanchuk (1951-1952), Doreen Carter (1952-1953), and Rosaline Voth (1954-1955).

The original Camperdown School building

The original Camperdown School building (no date) by C. K. Rogers
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-2, page 83.

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N50.55067, W99.28557
denoted by symbol on the map above


One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

Tracks of Time: Glenella and Districts by Glenella History Committee, 1990, pages 115-116. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.G65 Tra]

We thank Henry Esau and Rosaline Voth for providing additional information used here.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 8 August 2023

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.

Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep history alive!

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2023 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.