Historic Sites of Manitoba: Reedy Creek School No. 1983 (RM of Alonsa)
The Reedy Creek School District was organized formally in May 1919 from school land partially partitioned from the Griffiths School District and Elkwood School District, with a one-room schoolhouse operated at SW28-20-11W in the Rural Municipality of Alonsa. The building, which measured 20 feet by 32 feet, was designed by architect Eldred Dodsworth Tuttle and cost $3,600 to complete. It was slated to open around August 1920 and operated until December 1935 when the schoolhouse was moved to Alonsa where it became the high school for Alonsa School. Its catchment area then briefly became part of the Glenella School District for about two years before realignment into Alonsa School District in April 1938.
Among the teachers of Reedy Creek School were Pearl Nicol (1920), Mary Windsor (1921), Florence Kirkland (1921), Margaret Hunter (1922), Margaret McKay (1924), Albert Finlay (1925), Mary Ruth Hartford (1926-1927), Anna Carson (1927), Frances Westwood (1928), Alema McConnell (1928-1931), Jacob Warkenton (1931-1934), Leslie Hamilton (1934), Margaret King (1935), and Ruby Arndt (1935).
School division and school district formation files (E 0027), Reedy Creek School District No. 1983, Archives of Manitoba.
Departmentally appointed school trustee files (E 0034), Reedy Creek School District No. 1983 - Cash Book, GR1629, Archives of Manitoba.
Departmentally appointed school trustee files (E 0034), Reedy Creek School District No. 1983 - Miscellaneous, GR1629, Archives of Manitoba.
Departmentally appointed school trustee files (E 0034), Alonsa School District No. 1920, GR1630, Archives of Manitoba.
Manitoba School Records Collection, Reedy Creek School District No. 1983 Daily Registers, GR2064, Archives of Manitoba.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Tracks of Time: Glenella and Districts by Glenella History Committee, 1990, page 139. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.G65 Tra]
We thank Darryl Toews for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.
Page revised: 9 August 2023