The Goodlands School, located in what is now the Municipality of Glenella-Lansdowne, was established in March 1899. It became part of the Glenella Municipal School system in 1936, and closed in 1961. The building, once used as a granary, stands vacant at the site along with a commemorative monument.
Among the teachers of Goodlands School was John W. Mark (c1916-1917).
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Lennox School No. 317 (Goodlands, Municipality of Brenda-Waskada)
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.
We thank Nathan Kramer and George Penner for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Allan Drysdale and Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 16 August 2020
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.