Historic Sites of Manitoba: Mafeking Village School No. 1689 (Mafeking, RM of Mountain)
The Mafeking Village School District was organized formally in July 1913 although a school operated informally as early as 1912, in a building on the site of the Mafeking Cenotaph, in the village of Mafeking in the Rural Municipality of Mountain. It was replaced in the 1920s by a one-room structure made of logs, situated on the present site of the local fire hall. It was used into the mid-1940s when a two-room frame building replaced it on the site of the present site, across the road from the former school. It was used for about ten years until being replaced by a four-classroom stucco building which was in use when, in 1967, the district became part of the Swan Valley School Division. Starting in the 1970s, high school students were bused to Swan River while grade 7 and 8 students went to Birch River School. The present building, now used for Kindergarten to grade 6, was constructed during the 1975-1976 school year.
Among the teachers of Mafeking Village School were Ellen C. Peeler (1912-1913), Ellen Pegler (1914-1915), Selma Warkentin (1967), and John Warkentin (1967).
Photos & Maps
Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Boots, Buggies & Buses: Swan Valley Schools in Quest of Education, Swan Valley School Division No. 35, circa 1998.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 18 May 2015
Back to top of page