Historic Sites of Manitoba: Ramsay-Wright Building / Eaton’s Department Store (Main Street North, Dauphin)
This two-storey brick building at the intersection of Third Avenue and Main Street North in Dauphin was built by Carter-Halls-Aldinger between 1920 and 1921 for the Ramsay-Wright department store. It merged the general mercantile business established by Edwin A. Ramsay with a pharmacy developed by Fred T. Wright. The building was part of the Eaton’s department store chain from 1929 to 1966.
Memorable Manitobans: Edwin A. Ramsay (c1862-?)
Manitoba Business: T. Eaton Company
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Eaton’s Department Store (Portage Avenue, Winnipeg)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Timothy Eaton Statue (Portage Avenue, Winnipeg)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Eaton’s Employee War Memorial (Portage Avenue, Winnipeg)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Eaton’s Printing Plant and Warehouse (130 Galt Avenue, Winnipeg)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Eaton’s Department Store (Main Street North, Dauphin)
A Store Like No Other: Eaton’s of Winnipeg by Russ Gourluck, Winnipeg: Great Plains Publications, 2004.
“Ramsays Limited, building to start immediately,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 15 July 1920, page 1.
“Progress of a quarter century,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 2 November 1922, pages 3-5.
Dauphin Valley Spans the Years by Dauphin Historical Society, 1970.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 6 July 2019
Back to top of page
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.