Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 143 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Eaton’s Mail Order and Catalogue Building / City Place Building (333 St. Mary Avenue, Winnipeg)

This brick building on St. Mary Avenue in Winnipeg was built in two parts to accommodate the mail order business of T. Eaton & Company. The original western part was built in 1916 as an eight-storey building. A ninth storey was added in 1926 by the Claydon Construction Company. The eastern part, also built by Claydon, was completed in 1920.

In the late 1970s, the structure was converted into the City Place shopping mall. The upper levels became corporate offices for the Manitoba Public Insurance Corporation.

City Place Building

City Place Building (October 2018)
Source: George Penner

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.89164, W97.14309
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Manitoba Business: Claydon Brothers Construction Company / Claydon Construction Limited

Manitoba Business: T. Eaton Company

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Eaton’s Department Store (345 Portage Avenue, Winnipeg)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Eaton’s Power House Building (260 Hargrave Street, Winnipeg)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Eaton’s Mail Order and Catalogue Building / City Place Building (333 St. Mary Avenue, Winnipeg)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Timothy Eaton Statue (345 Portage Avenue, Winnipeg)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Eaton’s Employee War Memorial (345 Portage Avenue, Winnipeg)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Eaton’s Printing Plant and Warehouse (130 Galt Avenue, Winnipeg)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Ramsay-Wright Building / Eaton’s Department Store (Main Street North, Dauphin)

Manitoba Organization: Eaton Curling Club

A Store Like No Other: Eaton’s of Winnipeg by Russ Gourluck, Winnipeg: Great Plains Publications, 2004.

Sources:

City of Winnipeg Building Permit 123/1916, City of Winnipeg Archives.

City of Winnipeg Building Permit 286/1920, City of Winnipeg Archives.

City of Winnipeg Building Permit 451/1926, City of Winnipeg Archives.

“Over $500,000 to be spent,” Manitoba Free Press, 8 April 1926, page 5.

333 St. Mary Avenue, T. Eaton Company Mail Order & Catalogue Building, City of Winnipeg Historical Buildings & Resources Committee, November 2016.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough and George Penner.

Page revised: 20 May 2022

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep history alive!

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2022 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.