This metal statue of merchant Tiimothy Eaton (1834-1907) was unveiled on 8 December 1919 by employees of his Winnipeg store to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the founding of T. Eaton & Company. Through the years, the toe of his left boot became shiny from being rubbed by thousands of people who thought it would bring them good fortune. In 1989, the statue became a provincially-designated heritage object.
The statue stood in Eaton's Winnipeg department store until the building's demolition to make way for a sports arena. When the arena was completed, the statue was moved into one of its hallways along with two plaques for employees of the Eaton’s store who were killed during military service in the First World War and Second World War.
Manitoba Business: T. Eaton Company
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Eaton’s Department Store (345 Portage Avenue, Winnipeg)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Timothy Eaton Statue (345 Portage Avenue, Winnipeg)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Eaton’s Employee War Memorial (345 Portage Avenue, Winnipeg)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Eaton’s Printing Plant and Warehouse (130 Galt Avenue, Winnipeg)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Eaton’s Department Store (Main Street North, Dauphin)
A Store Like No Other: Eaton’s of Winnipeg by Russ Gourluck, Winnipeg: Great Plains Publications, 2004.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 1 January 2021
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.