This two-storey brick and stone building in Winnipeg occupies an entire block bounded by Lily Street on the west, Galt Avenue on the north, Alexander Avenue on the south, and Waterfront Drive on the east. Designed by local architect John Woodman, it was built for the T. Eaton Company in two stages, the easternmost part between April and September 1926 by John Gunn and Sons, and the remainder between June and November 1927 by Claydon Brothers Company. The older portion housed a printing plant while a track warehouse occupied the newer part.
Manitoba Business: T. Eaton Company
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Eaton’s Department Store (Portage Avenue, Winnipeg)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Timothy Eaton Statue (Portage Avenue, Winnipeg)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Eaton’s Employee War Memorial (Portage Avenue, Winnipeg)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Eaton’s Printing Plant and Warehouse (130 Galt Avenue, Winnipeg)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Eaton’s Department Store (Main Street North, Dauphin)
A Store Like No Other: Eaton’s of Winnipeg by Russ Gourluck, Winnipeg: Great Plains Publications, 2004.
We thank Murray Peterson for providing information used here.
This page was prepared by George Penner and Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 6 July 2019
Back to top of page
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.