Memorable Manitobans: Constance Gertrude Spratt “Connie” Guthrie (1912-1971)
Born at Neepawa on 19 June 1912, daughter of Harry Spratt (c1886-1965) and Rosa Eady (c1890-1968), she moved to Brandon in 1916 and attended school locally. Following teacher training, she taught at Castle Hill School (?-1941) and King George School (1941-1943). On 8 January 1945, she married William “Bill” Guthrie (1912-1958) at St. Luke’s Church in Ottawa, Ontario and resided in Ottawa while he served in the Canadian Army. After his 1947 discharge, the couple returned to Manitoba, settled at Balmoral, and had a two children: Leonard Guthrie and Marilyn Guthrie (wife of L. Anderson). She continued teaching in the Interlake area, including at Centre School (1947-1949), Edward E. Best School (?-?), and Gunton School (1964-1965, Principal), before joining the teaching staff of the St. James-Assiniboia School Division at St. Charles School (1965-1966) and Buchanan School (1966-1971). She was a member of St. Peter’s Anglican Church, Anglican Church of the Ascension, and an active 4-H leader. She died at the Princess Elizabeth Hospital on 6 May 1971 and was buried in the Stonewall Cemetery.
Birth and marriage registrations, Manitoba Vital Statistics.
1911 & 1916 Canada censes, Library and Archives Canada.
“Will scholarships: $50 McIntyre Memorial Awards to forty teachers announced,” Winnipeg Free Press, 21 June 1941, page 7.
“Guthrie - Spratt,” Winnipeg Free Press, 15 January 1945, page 8.
“Teachers open two-day meet in W. Kildonan,” Winnipeg Free Press, 10 October 1947, page 10.
Obituary [Rosa Spratt], Winnipeg Free Press, 14 September 1968, page 36.
Obituary [William Guthrie], Winnipeg Free Press, 3 December 1968, page 39.
Obituary, Winnipeg Free Press, 7 May 1971, page 40.
This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.
Page revised: 8 July 2022