Historic Sites of Manitoba: Edward E. Best School No. 2298 (RM of Rockwood)
The Edward E. Best School District was organized formally in February 1940, named for early school inspector Edward E. Best. A school was built on the northwest quarter of 27-13-2 east of the Principal Meridian in the Rural Municipality of Rockwood, with rough lumber and labour provided by the community and additional material from the Department of Education. The district was dissolved in July 1965 and its catchment area became part of the Stonewall School District No. 108. The school building is no longer present at the site.
Among the teachers who worked Edward E. Best School were Miss Fletcher, Mrs. Maholovich, Mrs. Vidal, Connie Guthrie, Mrs. McEwan, Doug Moore, Mary Amanda Nugent (1940-1941), Hope Bowman (1950-1951), Jean William Elliot (1951-1953), Lawrence Suchar (1954-1955), Michael John McLot (1956-1957), Mary Michalchuk (1957-1958), Ernest Arnold Suski (1958-1959), Elizabeth Florence Morrison Mowatt (1964-1965), Adeline Arlene Helwer (1965-1966), and Helena Marguerite Snead (1966-1967).
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
100 Years of History: Rockwood Municipality by Rockwood Municipality History, 1982.
Manitoba School Records Collection, Ernest E. Best School District No. 2298 Daily Registers, GR2044, Archives of Manitoba.
Page revised: 27 September 2017
Back to top of page