Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 138 years

 


MHS
Events


Manitoba
History

No. 84


This Old
Elevator


Abandoned
Manitoba


War
Memorials
in Manitoba


Digitized
Local History
Books


Memorable
Manitobans


Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Centre School No. 540 (RM of Rockwood)

The Centre School District was established in June 1888, named for the fact it was situated mid-way between Stonewall and Balmoral. Local resident John Good donated land for a one-room schoolhouse at NW18-14-2E in the Rural Municipality of Rockwood. The school closed in June 1956 and the district was dissolved in 1965. Its area was divided between Brant Consolidated School District, Stonewall School District, and Balmoral Consolidated School District. The former school building and land were sold for use as a private residence.

Among the teachers who worked at Centre School through the years were Jessie Brown (1888-1889), E. Roberts (1890-1891), B. Oatway (1892), A. G. McArthur (1892, 1893, 1895, 1896-1897), Miss Rukie (1892-1893), Miss Broatch (1893), F. Stanley (1893-1895), P. Iverach (1896), P. H. Miller (1897-1898, 1898-1900), G. W. Bartlett (1898), R. McLelland (1900), John S. Peach (1901-1902), W. Chanin (1903), T. Rutherford (1904), W. Fidler (1904-1906), A. Scott (1907), W. Currie (1908), H. R. McEwen (1909), T. C. Jerrom (1910), S. A. Umphery (1911-1912), M. Pearson (1913), G. Jones (1914), Roberta Anderson (1915-1917), Ida Oughton (1917-1918), C. Rice (1919), L. Sibbald (1920-1922), Violet Labey (1922-1930), M. McRae (1930-1935), A. Calderwood (1935-1942), L. Lund (1942-1943), E. Morland (1943-1945), M. E. Jahns (1945-1946), R. C. Mulligan (1946-1947), Constance Guthrie (1947-1949), Donalda Stanbra (1949-1952), Mrs. Vidal (1952-1953), G. Byle (1953-1955), and Miss M. Toews (1955-1956).

Site Location (lat/long): N50.19620, W97.32062
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

Stonewall West topographic map, 62H/11 East, Edition 1, 1952, Series A743 [UFS Reference Collection].

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

100 Years of History: Rockwood Municipality by Rockwood Municipality History, 1982.

We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 12 March 2017

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2017 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.