Historic Sites of Manitoba: Dominion City School No. 45 (Dominion City, Municipality of Emerson-Franklin)
The Dominion City School District was established formally in March 1877 and a school building operated in Dominion City in what is now the Municipality of Emerson-Franklin. In 1901, a two-storey, four-classroom wood frame schoolhouse was built at the site. It became part of the Dominion City Consolidated School No. 45 in 1913, consolidating with Whitby School No. 1421, Erin School No. 385, and part of Bow Park School No. 166.
By 1914, the school building was considered unsafe so, two years later, a new two-storey, six-classroom brick structure was erected at a cost of $18,456 and the old building was sold. As student enrollment increased through the years, space was added, including a sixth classroom in 1946 and a two-room annex in 1948. Electrical service was added in 1935. A new primary school, now part of the local arena, was built in 1956 and the annex was removed. The old brick building closed in December 1965 and was later demolished.
Photos & Coordinates
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
R.M. of Franklin Turns a Century, 1883-1983 by The RM of Franklin Book Committee, May 1983, pages 88-90.
We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 9 August 2022