Historic Sites of Manitoba: Centennial School / Edmund Partridge School (240 Royal Avenue, Winnipeg)
Built in 1913 at a cost of $58,000, on a design by local architect Edgar Prain, the two-storey brick school on Main Street at Royal Avenue was opened officially on 5 December 1913. It eventually became part of the Seven Oaks School Division.
Centennial School was later joined at the site by Edmund Patridge School commemorating municipal official Edmund Partridge, and the two buildings were linked together. The cornerstone for Edmund Partridge School was laid by Edmund’s daughter Eveline Farlinger, also a the West Kildonan School Board trustee, on 24 November 1955. The school was officially opened 11 April 1956, though already in operation. At the ceremony was Minister of Education W. C. Miller, Chairman of the municipality and Public Utilities Board R. L. McDonald, and Winnipeg School Board trustee A. E. “Nan” Murphy.
The facility offered a English-Hebrew bilingual program (1982-c1988) and was also a High School (1921-1954) prior to the construction of the West Kildonan Collegiate in 1954. Both school buildings served as wings of the West Kildonan Collegiate from 1997 to 2008. The 26-room Centennial building was demolished sometime between 2008 and 2010.
Principals (Centennial School)
Principals (Edmund Partridge School)
Teachers (Centennial School)
Teachers (Edmund Partridge School)
Among the other teachers of Edmund Partridge School was Alfred Pelissier (1960-1961).
Photos & Coordinates
“Corner stone of the Centennial School laid,” Winnipeg Tribune, 7 July 1913, page 4.
“Opening Centennial School,” Winnipeg Tribune, 8 December 1913, page 6.
“West Kildonan loses no time in answering school fire ‘alarm’,” Winnipeg Free Press, 25 August 1955, page 3.
“New W. K. school opens Wednesday,” Winnipeg Free Press, 12 April 1956, page 2.
“Gift money stolen,” Winnipeg Free Press, 8 June 1959, page 1.
“Principals shifted in close vote,” Winnipeg Free Press, 4 December 1964, page 24.
A Historical Study of Public Education in West Kildonan to 1959 by Raymond Ronald Bailey, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, 1966.
“Happy 75th,” Winnipeg Free Press Weekly Northeast Section, 7 August 1988, page 2.
“Principals appointed,” Winnipeg Free Press, 18 December 1988, page 49.
Henderson’s Winnipeg Directories, Peel’s Prairie Provinces, University of Alberta Libraries.
Biographical Dictionary of Architects in Canada, 1800-1950 by Robert G. Hill, Toronto.
We thank Heather Thatcher and Rose Kuzina for providing additional information used here.
Page revised: 12 February 2020
Back to top of page