Born at Montreal in 1852, the youngest son of architect George Browne and Anna Maria Jameson. He was educated in Montreal High School after which he worked at his father’s office until he was 18 years old, when he went to New York to study in the office of Russell Sturgis. For three years starting in 1873, he studied architecture in England, Ireland, France, Italy, and Switzerland. He returned to Montreal in 1877 where he practiced as an architect for two years until he moved to Manitoba. He farmed until 1882 when he resumed his architectural practice. In 1883, he married Louisa Anna Nicolls. In 1910, Browne left Winnipeg for New York City, and he died at South Nyack, New York on 12 March 1919.
The following were among Browne’s architectural works:
- Massey-Harris Building (294-296 William Avenue, Winnipeg), 1885
- Miller-Morse Building (86-88 Princess Street, Winnipeg), 1887
- Mackenzie & Powis Building (78-84 Princess Street, Winnipeg), 1891
- Norquay School (Lusted Avenue), 1892 - demolished circa 1956
- Dawson Kerr Elliott Residence (Winnipeg)
- George Turner Orton Residence (Winnipeg)
- Arthur Wickson Residence (Winnipeg)
- W. J. Watson Residence (Winnipeg)
- J. C. Gordon Residence (Winnipeg)
- Mulvey School No. 2 (Broadway at Maryland Street, Winnipeg), 1893
- Aberdeen School (444 Flora Avenue, Winnipeg), 1893
- East Ward School (Portage la Prairie), 1894
- North Ward School (Portage la Prairie), 1894
- West Ward School (Portage la Prairie), 1894
- North Central School (Winnipeg)
- Manitoba College addition (Winnipeg)
- Hudson’s Bay Company office (Winnipeg)
- Hudson’s Bay Company warehouse (Vancouver, BC)
- Dominion Soudack Fur Association (294-296 William Avenue, Winnipeg), 1885, 1904
- Civic Market (Winnipeg), 1890, demolished 1964
- MacGregor Block (180-182 Princess Street, Winnipeg), 1892
- Masonic Temple (335 Donald Street, Winnipeg), 1895
- Wesley College (University of Winnipeg, 515 Portage Avenue, Winnipeg), 1895
- Minnedosa South School (Minnedosa), 1898
- Gault Building (92-104 Arthur Street, Winnipeg), 1900
- University of Manitoba Science Building (Broadway, Winnipeg), 1900, demolished 1961
- YMCA Building (276 Portage Avenue, Winnipeg), 1900
- Henry Martyn Belcher Residence (37 Edmonton Street, Winnipeg), 1901
- Strathcona Block (Fort Garry Court, Winnipeg), 1901, demolished 1974
- Union Bank / Bank of Montreal (33 Main Street, Carberry), 1902
- A. J. Andrews Residence (749 Wellington Crescent, Winnipeg), 1905, demolished 1953
- William Sanford Evans Residence (Winnipeg)
The Canadian Album: Men of Canada or Success by Example, Vol. III, Bradley, Garretson & Company, Brantford, Ontario, 1894.
A History of Manitoba: Its Resources and People by Prof. George Bryce, Toronto: The Canadian History Company, 1906.
Crescentwood: A History by R. R. Rostecki, Crescentwood Home Owners Association, 1993.
Biographical Dictionary of Architects in Canada, 1800-1950 by Robert G. Hill, Toronto.
Winnipeg Building Index
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 14 August 2013
Back to top of page
A collection of noteworthy Manitobans from the past, compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
Search the collection by word or phrase, name, place, occupation or other text:
Browse surnames beginning with:
A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | Y | Z | 2013