Historic Sites of Manitoba: Mackenzie and Powis Warehouse / Earn International (78-84 Princess Street, Winnipeg)
This three-storey brick building was designed by local architect George Browne and built in 1891 for the wholesale grocery firm of Mackenzie and Powis. The firm had been organized in 1882 by partners William H. Lyon, Kenneth Mackenzie, and Edmund Powis. By the time of construction, Lyon had left the firm, which became Mackenzie and Powis.
By the late 1890s, only Mackenzie remained with the firm, renaming it the K. Mackenzie Company. He retired in 1910 and, six years later, the building was sold to the Redmond Company, a manufacturer and wholesaler of furs and winter clothing. Ownership was later assumed by the Montreal Trust Company, which leased space to various occupants through the years. It was bought in the early 1940s by Cornelius Abraham DeFehr, who specialized in the sale of furniture and appliances. DeFehr Furniture remained at the site until the mid-1990s.
In the mid-1970s, the building was joined to the adjacent one at 86-88 Princess Street by openings made in a wall between them. Further integration occurred in 1991 when boilers were installed in 86-88 Princess to heat both structures. In 1997, the entire property was sold to Earn International Inc. The building is a municipally-designated historic site.
Mackenzie and Powis Warehouse (78-84 Princess Street), City of Winnipeg Historical Buildings Committee, August 1998.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 7 April 2019
Back to top of page