Historic Sites of Manitoba: Strathcona Block / Fort Garry Court (160 Main Street, Winnipeg)
Designed by architect George Browne, this four-storey brick and stone block, measuring 179 feet by 124 feet, was built in 1902 at the corner of Main Street and Broadway in Winnipeg, opposite the Union Station, by Philip Burnett and George Andrews Mitchell under the supervision of Edward G. Sherwood, for owner Donald Alexander Smith. Known initially as the Strathcona Block, it was later renamed the Fort Garry Court.
The building was damaged extensively by a fire on 1 February 1976 and was subsequently demolished.
City of Winnipeg Building Permit 422/1902, City of Winnipeg Archives.
“3 die, 5 missing in downtown apartment blaze,” Winnipeg Free Press, 2 February 1976, page 1.
Fort Garry Court, Winnipeg Building Index.
Preparation of this page was supported, in part, by the Gail Parvin Hammerquist Fund of the City of Winnipeg.
We thank Rob McInnes for providing additional information used here.
Page revised: 1 July 2022