The original three-storey section of this building, designed by local architect George Browne, was erected in 1887 for the hardware wholesale business of Miller, Morse and Company. The firm had been formed in 1881 by Hyman Miller and brothers Fred A. Morse and F. Morton Morse. A building of identical design was added to the north side in 1892. Further expansion occurred in 1920 with the addition of two floors.
By 1904, the company had moved to new premises at McDermot Avenue and Adelaide Street. Later occupants of the building included the wholesale electrical supply firm of J. Stuart Machinery Company, shoe wholesaler William A. Marsh Company, and Congdon Marsh. The building was sold to C. A. DeFehr & Sons in 1974.
In the mid-1970s, the building was joined to the adjacent one at 78-84 Princess Street by openings made in a wall between them. Further integration occurred in 1991 when boilers were installed in this building to heat both structures. In 1997, the entire property was sold to Earn International Inc.
Miller-Morse Building (May 2017)
Source: George Penner
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.89828, W97.14232
denoted by symbol on the map above
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Mackenzie and Powis Building (78-84 Princess Street, Winnipeg)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Miller-Morse Building / Manitoba Liquor Control Commission Building / Richlu Building (317 McDermot Avenue, Winnipeg)
Miller-Morse Building (86-88 Princess Street), City of Winnipeg Historical Buildings Committee, August 1998.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough and George Penner.
Page revised: 22 December 2022
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.
Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Help us keep history alive!