Historic Sites of Manitoba: St. John’s Anglican Cathedral and Cemetery (135 Anderson Avenue, Winnipeg)
St. John’s is the oldest Anglican parish west of the Great Lakes. The graveyard around the massive church contains a veritable “Who’s Who” of Manitoba society from the 1800s through the present. A plaque, installed at the southwest corner of the Cathedral building in 1988 by the Manitoba Heritage Council, recognizes the long-term use of the site by the Anglican Church. The present Cathedral building was erected in 1926 on a design by local architects Gilbert Parfitt and Edgar Prain.
The building is a municipally-designated historic site.
A list of burials in this cemetery is available from the Manitoba Genealogical Society, including a searchable online database available to members at the MGS Manitoba Name Index (MANI). Some additional information is contained in the 1996 MGS publication Carved in Stone: Manitoba Cemeteries and Burial Sites, revised edition, Special Projects Publication, 106 pages.
Information for this page was provided by The City of Winnipeg’s Planning, Property and Development Department, which acknowledges the contribution of the Government of Manitoba through its Heritage Grants Program.
We thank Desiree Rolfe for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 19 February 2019
Back to top of page