Historic Sites of Manitoba: Glenboro School No. 512 (Glenboro, Municipality of Glenboro-South Cypress)
The Glenboro School District was established formally in August 1887 and a two-storey school building was erected in Glenboro (in what is now the Municipality of Glenboro-South Cypress) on a design by Winnipeg architect Walter Chesterton. In January 1959, it became Glenboro Consolidated School No. 2367 when it was consolidated with several rural schools from the surrounding area, includng Glencove School No. 205, Hecla School No. 355, Hawkins School No. 643, Clifton Bank School No. 777, Frey School No. 890, Fair Valley School No. 1749, and Patricia School No. 1763. It later became part of the Tiger Hills School Division.
Among the teachers who worked at Glenboro School were Sadie McNab (1897), Olive McLean, G. R. Pearson, Samuel H. Doctoroff (1930s), Maurice Alfred Decosse (?-?), F. Alwyn Anderson (?-?), Charlotte L. K. Oleson (1951-1953), Agnes Louisa Florence (1940s), and William Ross “Bill” Shackel (1967-?).
Photos & Coordinates
“The Indian famine fund,” Winnipeg Tribune, 4 March 1897, page 4.
Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.
“Glenboro school opened on Tuesday,” Glenboro Gazette, 1 September 1955, page 1.
“Kiwanis klippings,” Glenboro Gazette, 9 October 1958, page 1.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Biographical Dictionary of Architects in Canada, 1800-1950 by Robert G. Hill, Toronto.
We thank Rob McInnes for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 24 August 2022