Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 138 years

 


MHS
Events


Fall
Field Trip:
Ukrainian
Settlement


Manitoba
History

No. 84


This Old
Elevator


Abandoned
Manitoba


War
Memorials
in Manitoba


Digitized
Local History
Books


Memorable
Manitobans


Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Clifton Bank School No. 777 (RM of Prairie Lakes)

The Clifton Bank School District was established formally in November 1884 and a one-room schoolhouse operated on the northeast corner of NE16-6-15W in what is now the Rural Municipality of Prairie Lakes. The original building was destroyed by fire on Arbor Day in 1919. A replacement was constructed two years later at NE21-6-15W. It closed in 1946. The district was dissolved in 1960 and its catchment area was divided between Glenboro Consolidated School District No. 2367 and Belmont Consolidated School District No. 441. The school building stood vacant at the site for many years but, as of 2009, it was gone.

Among the teachers of Clifton Bank School were Miss Esther Fallis, Miss Van Vliet, Miss Borley, Miss Gladys Dowd, Miss Isabella Mary Hill, Miss Armstrong, Miss Ettie Cunningham, Grover Vrooman (1916), Miss Pritchard (1918), Margaret Jamieson (1921-1923), Jessie Dayton (1923-1924), Vera M. Mahon (1924-1925), E. G. Hamilton (1925), Carrie E. Lyall (1926), Edna E. Campbell (1926-1927), Venia Jackson (1927-1930), Mamie Eleanor White (1930-1936), Sophie Olafson (1936-1938), Edith Eileen Rogers (1938-1939), Evelyn Anna Trumbla (1939-1941), Audrey Pearl Johnson (1941-1942), Muriel Beatrice Freedy (1942), Evelyn Spring (1943), Ruby I. Hamilton (1943-1944), Gloria Beryl Leach (1944-1945), Una Earl (1946), Lillian John (1946).

Clifton Bank School

The second Clifton Bank Creek School building (no date) by W. J. Parr
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-1, page 124.

Clifton Bank School

The former Clifton Bank School building (circa 1986)
Source: Historic Resources Branch, Public School Buildings Inventory, slide 1340.

Clifton Bank School

Clifton Bank School (no date)
Source: Doug Brown

Site Location (lat/long): N49.49586, W99.42835
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

The Path of the Pioneers: Belmont and District, 1889-1989 by Belmont History Committee, 1989. [Legislative Library of Manitoba, F5649.B44 Pat]

A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.

This page was prepared by Doug Brown and Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 23 August 2016

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2017 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.