Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 143 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Hecla School No. 355 (RM of Argyle)

The Hecla School District was established formally in November 1884 and a one-room school building was later erected on 16-6-14 west of the Principal Meridian, in the Rural Municipality of Argyle. Until 1889, classes were held only during the summer because poor roads in the vicinity rendered winter transportation difficult. At the time, there were 120 students enrolled at the school. In 1897, a second school was built at this site, NE20-6-14W, and the original school building was sold for use as a Methodist church. The school closed in January 1959 and its remaining students went to Glenboro Consolidated School No. 2367. The building was sold and dismantled. A commemorative monument was unveiled on 19 July 1992.

Among the teachers of Hecla School for the period from 1884 to 1896 were James Dale, Maggie Campbell, Lottie Touchbourne, Thomas H. Johnson, Gudny Jonsdottir, L. Bjarnason, G. M. Robertson, G. A. Plett, S. F. Flatt, and Ada Clarke. Teachers for the period from 1897 to 1959 were S. Brown (three years), Thomas McKay, Miss Rebecca Duncan, Ray Duff, Viola Duff, Belle Perrin, E. C. Burgess, Damil Avis, Carl Frederickson, Rosie Coles, M. Chester, H. Schwolm, R. S. Welsh, Olive Gowanlock, Esther Sundell, Ross Kennedy, Jennie Welsh, Irene Wray, Etta McLaren, Jean Ekins, Irene Turnbull, M. A. Waddell, Lucy Brooks, Grace M. Smith, Miss E. M. Young, Mrs. Grace L. Smith, Miss W. Gowanlock, Miss U. Earle, Ella Kovar, Kae Bullion, F. Taylor, Norma Sutherland, Vivian Frederickson, Bernice Sinclair, and Ellen Moore.

Hecla School

Hecla School (no date) by G. H. Robertson
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-1, page 26.

Hecla School commemorative monument

Hecla School commemorative monument (August 2019)
Source: Rose Kuzina

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.49598, W99.31599
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Baldur District Schools (RM of Argyle)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Big Island School / Hecla Island School No. 589 (Hecla-Grindstone Provincial Park)

Sources:

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

Beneath the Long Grass by Glenboro and Area Historical Society, 1979, pages 91-92.

We thank Rose Kuzina for providing additional information used here.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 17 May 2020

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep
history alive!

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2022 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.