Historic Sites of Manitoba: Darlingford School No. 1228 / Darlingford School Heritage Museum (Darlingford, Municipality of Pembina)
As early as 1905, the Manitoba Department of Education was experimenting with consolidation to better serve local communities and students. It was thought that a bigger and better equipped school, in a centralized location, provided better education. Darlingford Consolidated School No. 1228, in the village of Darlingford in the Municipality of Pembina, is an example of those developments. Built in 1910 on a design by Winnipeg architect F. R. Evans, allegedly used locally-made bricks, the entrance tower is notably off-centre so that, as the school enrollment grew, another wing would be added on the south side of the building. That never happened at Darlingford. The building features a rare fire escape system off the second floor at the rear.
The smaller rural schools consolidated at Darlingford included Lorne School No. 56, Darlington School No. 79, Middleton School No. 404, Calf Mountain School No. 489, Barclay School No. 657, Point Douglas Consolidated School No. 1475, and Rosyth School No. 2030. The school operated continuously until 1984 when, due to low student enrollment, it closed.
A commemorative marker elsewhere in Darlingford denotes the site of the building which preceded the present structure, which operated there from 1903 to 1910.
The former school building is now home for the Darlingford School Heritage Museum. Open during summer months, tours can be arranged by calling Patrick Thiessen at 204-823-0626 or Betty Hamilton at 204-246-2307.
Among the teachers who worked at Darlingford School through the years were Miss Brown (1925), Ina Lee (1925), and Leona Duncan (1925).
Photos & Coordinates
Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.
Darlingford Consolidated School, Manitoba Historic Resources Branch
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
The Darlingford Saga II, 1870-1970, 1970-1999 by the Darlingford Centennial Book Committee, 1999.
Biographical Dictionary of Architects in Canada, 1800-1950 by Robert G. Hill, Toronto.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 12 July 2020
Back to top of page